One of West's old professors asks for his help, but is killed before conveying little beyond that a beautiful, evil woman is involved. West is refused permission to investigate the case by Senator Waterford and, upon going to find out why, discovers the same beautiful woman, calling herself Astarte, is the senator's wife. West is subsequently kidnapped, then released - only to find himself at the center of a conspiracy to make it appear that he's lost his mind. Fortunately, Gordon realizes that it's a frame-up and together they attempt to get to the bottom of this strange business of murder, magic and mind games.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Bandaged Face: As displayed in the lower left freeze frame.
- Black Magic: Asmodeus claims to be a practitioner of the dark arts and has some very impressive tricks to prove it.
- Brain in a Jar: The villains have been taking the living brains of great scientists and putting them into jars to serve their own purposes.
- Explosion Propulsion: Jim escapes from a pit by putting explosives beneath an upside-down metal bucket, standing on the bucket and then lighting the explosives' fuse.
- Hollywood Satanism: Part of the plot to discredit Jim involves having him stumble upon a "witch's sabbath," complete with human sacrifice.
- Man on Fire: Poor Professor Robey...
- Massive Multiplayer Scam: The various villains and their associates go to great lengths to make it look like Jim is suffering from delusions as a result of a traffic accident.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Asmodeus appears to have magical powers, but it's never made clear how much is appearance and how much is reality.
- Non-Indicative Title: Good luck spotting any druids (or blood) in this episode.
- Unbroken Vigil: Artie thinks he's keeping one of these over Jim, but it turns out to be an imposter.Artie: Now listen, Jim. Listen to me. For the past twelve hours I've been sitting at your bedside praying that you'd pull through. You have been hurt. Do you understand?Jim: Nah, it can't be.Artie: Would I kid you about something like that, buddy? Would I?