Recap: The Wild Wild West S 1 E 17 The Night The Dragon Screamed
West and Gordon are out to take down the Order of the Crimson Dragon, a tong smuggling opium and illegal immigrants into San Francisco. Their investigation leads them to a scheming Englishman named Allenby-Smythe who has designs on the throne of the Chinese empire; the agents have their hands full protecting Princess Ching Ling, heir to that throne, dealing with inter-gang rivalries and trying to stay alive.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Diving Save: How Jim saves Artie from being machine gunned into oblivion.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Mo Ti is hired to kill Jim, but once Jim saves his life, swears eternal gratitude. That doesn't stop Mo Ti from alternately rescuing and betraying Jim throughout the rest of the episode, depending on what's expedient at the time. PS: He never gets what's coming to him.
- The Infiltration: Artie disguises himself as "Captain Sumatra," a Chinese arms dealer, in hopes of infiltrating the Dragonsí rival tong, the Sons of the Stalking Tigers. It doesn't quite work out as he'd planned since he's captured before he even starts. However, he ends up infiltrating the Dragons themselves, which turns out to be just as good.
- Mugged for Disguise: When making their escape, Jim and Artie come across two guards whom they promptly knock out and disrobe.
- Obvious Stunt Double: A particularly egregious case in which during the climax Ben Wright, as Allenby-Smythe, suddenly turns into someone who isn't 15 years older than Robert Conrad and then turns into a dummy when Conrad flings him onto a bed of spikes.
- Torture Technician: Artie, in his Sumatra disguise, presents himself as one of these to Allenby-Smythe when trying to convince the latter that Jim can be... persuaded to join his cause."Sumatra": "Colonel, given the opportunity, the time and the implements, I could convince the devil to serve tea."