After an attack on West's life, he and Gordon walk into a bar where they soon start competing for the attentions of a beautiful woman. West appears to win but soon discovers that it was a trap. Dr. Loveless is behind it all; he has set up operations in a ghost town where he plans to surgically alter Janus, one of his assistants, to look exactly like West, then send him back to work for the government as Loveless' double agent.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Ghost Town: Loveless sets up operations in one, though he scatters dummies and "speaking machines" about for effect.
- Harmless Electrocution: Voltaire takes enough electricity to "kill an elephant" but suffers nothing worse than "a slight sunburn."
- Imposter Forgot One Detail: Loveless and Janus are very well-informed on Jim's background, but they don't know much about Artie's great-aunt Maude.
- The Mole: Loveless creates a fake James West with the hopes of inserting him into the real James West's place without anyone being the wiser, at which point he and his accomplices can start destroying the U. S. government from within.
- Spot the Imposter: At the end, Jim and Janus have a showdown. Artie would like to help but he can't tell which is which. Marie has her own way to resolve the issue - kissing them.
- Surgical Impersonation: How Janus becomes James.