Recap: The West Wing S 01 E 02 Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Mandy is upset because Senator Russell makes a deal that effectively neuters his campaign run, so she quits. As it happens, the senior staff is able to convince Leo they need a new media director, so he agrees to hire Mandy, much to Josh's consternation. Vice-President John Hoynes (Tim Matheson) makes a comment about White House policy that seems strained, and when C.J. tries to ask him about it, he blows her off; she covers for him, but Leo sees through this and chews the Vice-President out for it. Sam confesses to Josh and Toby about seeing Laurie; not only that, but he wants to see her again (though not paying for her services, of course), and does so. Finally, Syria shoots down a plane carrying President Bartlet's physician, along with other Americans, and the President, who earlier had talked about how reluctant he was to use force against his enemies, is ready to strike back.This episode contains examples of:
- Comically Missing the Point: After Mandy drives her car onto the curb to berate Senator Russell for agreeing to the deal:Mandy: You know what the worst part about this is?Senator Russell: Well, I think you dinged up your suspension pretty good.
- Continuity Nod: Sam and Laurie, plus the 443 bill.
- Description Cut: Mandy tells Senator Russell the worst part about the deal he made is how much everyone in the West Wing's going to gloat. Senator Russell assures her that a blow was struck for party unity, which means there's no cause to gloat. Sure enough:Josh: Victory is mine, victory is mine, great day in the morning, people, victory is mine!Donna: Good morning, Josh.Josh: I drink from the keg of glory, Donna. Bring me the finest muffins and bagels in all the land.Donna: It's gonna be an unbearable day.
- "El NiŮo" Is Spanish for "The NiŮo": After President Bartlet asks the staff if they know what "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" means (see Title Drop below):Josh: Uh, "post"-after, after hoc, "ergo"-therefore, "after hoc therefore" something else hoc.President Bartlet: Thank you. Next?Josh: Uh, if I had gotten more credit on the 443...
- Establishing Character Moment: Though Mrs. Landingham had appeared briefly in the pilot, this is the episode that showed her talent for being a Servile Snarker:Toby: Mrs. Landingham, does the president have any free time this morning?Mrs. Landingham: The president has nothing but free time, Toby. Right now, he's in the residence eating Cheerios and enjoying Regis and Kathy Lee. Should I get him for you?Toby: Sarcasm's a disturbing thing coming from a woman your age, Mrs. Landingham.Mrs. Landingham: What age would that be, Toby?Toby: Late twenties?Mrs. Landingham: Atta boy.
- Foreign Language Title
- Foreshadowing: The conflict between the Vice-President and President will become even more pronounced over the coming weeks.
- And Bob Russell hasn't completely given up on running for President...
- Geeky Turn-On: Parodied:Sam: I can recite the members of Congress in alphabetical order.Laurie: Ooh, geez, Sam. How do the girls stay on their feet with you?Sam: And I got some patter with the capital gains tax, too.
- Go Look at the Distraction: As Leo and Dr. Tolliver are talking about the latter's newborn daughter and his picture of her, Margaret comes up and chides Leo for adding someone to an appointment. Leo responds by giving her Dr. Tolliver's picture to look at, and she predictably melts.
- Insistent Terminology: Sam slept with a call girl, not a hooker (or prostitute), and it was accidentally.
C.J.: U.S.A. Today asks you why you donít spend more time campaigning in Texas and you say itís cause you donít look good in funny hats.Sam: It was "big hats".C.J.: What difference does it make?President Bartlet: It makes a difference.
- Also, earlier in the episode:
- Lame Pun Reaction:President Bartlet: What's in Jordan?Dr. Tolliver: Amman.President Bartlet: You should stay here. We got Amman, a woman, little kids, the works.Dr. Tolliver: 131 over 84.President Bartlet: See, that was a joke.Dr. Tolliver: Good one.President Bartlet: Everybody's a critic today.
- Noodle Incident: We never find out what exactly the joke the President told that so offended the Ryder Cup team was.
- Pop-Cultural Osmosis Failure: As Mandy is railing against Senator Russell and his aides about tabling 443:Mandy: That bill was our coming out party! We were gonna have the stage for a month! It was our Nessun Dorma!Staffer #1: What the hell's Nessun Dorma?Staffer #2: It's an Italian opera by Wagner.Mandy: It's Puccini. Wagner's German, and you're a moron.
- Rule of Three: Josh hires back Mandy (and her roommate Daisy) under these conditions:Josh: Rule number one, she can't punch me. Rule number two, I would prefer it if the two of you didn't get drunk in the middle of the day...Rule number three, and I really can't emphasize this enough, you answer to me and you answer to Toby. My office is drawing up some instructional charts that pretty much outline the chain of command. For instance, you answer to me and you answer to Toby.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Dr. Morris Tolliver.
- Self Plagiarism: Josh trying to convince everyone they should hire a new media director (anyone but Mandy) because of all the PR mistakes they've made (including the Ryder Cup) is similar to a plotline in the pilot of Sports Night.
- Servile Snarker: Mrs. Landingham, of course, but also Dr. Tolliver:President Bartlet: Jokes like that (the golf joke) are part of my folksy charm, Morris. It's the very heart of my popularity.Dr. Tolliver: Don't you have a job approval rating of like three percent or something?
- They Call Me Mister Tibbs:Vice-President Hoynes: Leo, I have had it up to here, with you and your pal! Iíve been shoved into a broom...Leo: Excuse me! Me and my pal?Vice-President Hoynes: Yes.Leo: You are referring to President Bartlet?Vice-President Hoynes: Yes.Leo: Refer to him that way.
- Title Drop: After C.J.and the others claim the President lost Texas in the election because of a joke he made about wearing big hats:President Bartlet: C.J., on your tombstone, it's gonna read, "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc".C.J.: Okay, but none of my visitors are going to be able to understand my tombstone.President Bartlet: 27 lawyers in the room, anybody know "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc"?[...]President Bartlet: Leo?Leo: After it, therefore because of it.President Bartlet: After it, because of it. It means one thing follows the other, therefore it was caused by the other, but it's not always true. In fact, it's hardly ever true. We did not lose Texas because of the hat joke. Do you know when we lost Texas?C.J.: When you learned to speak Latin?President Bartlet: Go figure.
- Tranquil Fury: President Bartlet at the end, after the plane carrying Dr. Tolliver is shot down and everyone is killed; "I'm gonna blow them off the face of the earth with the fury of God's own thunder." And it is *chilling* to watch.
- You Got Spunk: Senator Russell attempts to cheer Mandy up by telling her this. Mandy's response is to threaten to kill him with her shoe.
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.