Recap: The Tainted Grimoire
"Even I forget where stuff is, and I write the thing."This is the recap page
. Be warned, expect more and more unmarked spoilers the further down this page you go.
open/close all folders
Chapters 1 to 10
wounds up in Ivalice.
- Introductions: Illua, Luso, Mr. R, Frimelda, Luso's grandfather and Luso's mom.
Luso is introduced to Clan Gully, which at that point consisted only of Cid, Ensei and Kanin.
- Introductions: Kanin, Ensei, Cid, Cheney and Marion.
- Luso joins Clan Gully.
Luso begins his training to be a Parivir by starting out as a Soldier.
- Introductions: Ribs and an equipment shopkeeper in Targ Wood.
- Clan Fletching is mentioned in this chapter.
Cheney hires Clan Gully to help him catch poachers.
- Introductions: The three members of Clan Fletching, which is Worgen, a Berserker and a Beastmaster.
Clan Gully and Cheney confronts the poachers.
- Introductions: Chief of Police for Wood Village and Sasasha.
- The Berserker of Clan Fletching's name is revealed to be T-Bone.
Clan Gully, Cheney, Sasasha, the Police Chief and two of his subordinates confront the leader of the local poaching ring.
- Ensei is revealed to be Kanin's father.
- Cheney joins Clan Gully.
Clan Gully relocates from Targ Wood to Camoa.
- Introductions: Hurdy and The Yellow Wings.
- Kanin is revealed to have a crush on Luso.
- Hurdy joins Clan Gully.
- Character corner: Cheney.
The members of Clan Gully get into small adventures while in Camoa.
- Introductions: The Sky Pirates Vaan and Penelo and Baron Popple.
- Character corner: Hurdy.
Clan Gully accepts a request that has them travelling to St. Galleria in the Galleria Deep.
- Introductions: Maria, Francesca, Vendo, an equipment shopkeeper in Camoa, Sir Loin and Adelle.
- Coryn is mentioned in this chapter.
- Luso switches job from a Soldier to a Fighter.
- The equipment shopkeeper is revealed to be Anna's father.
- Ensei is revealed to have known Sir Loin.
- Adelle is Sir Loin's adopted daughter.
- Sir Loin is revealed to have known about Kanin.
- Character corner: Kanin.
Clan Gully joins a caravan that happens to be heading to St. Galleria.
- Introductions: Auggie, Sothe, Micaiah, Clan Falzen's leader Andie Kelt and Raven.
- Ensei is revealed to have known Auggie.
- The other members of Clan Falzen, Crow and Gull are seen in this chapter but were only properly introduced later.
- Character corner: Sothe and Micaiah.
Chapters 11 to 20
The caravan makes good travel progress with some Exposition
in this chapter.
- Introductions: Archbishop Finch.
- Auggie is revealed to be blind but has something that makes up for it, though not completely.
- Klesta is mentioned in this chapter.
- Maria is revealed to be going to get married.
- Character corner: Sir Loin.
The caravan is attacked.
- Introductions: Two members of Clan Falzen, Kirsa and Gertie, a Moogle Animist and Crow.
- Adelle destroys Clan Gully's wagon.
- Character corner: Andie Kelt.
Clan Falzen, under orders from Sothe, try to bring Hurdy to Sothe, but end up fighting Clan Gully and their comrades.
- Introductions: The last two members of Clan Falzen, Claire and Belinda.
- Character corner: Gertie Frau.
The battle between Clan Falzen and Clan Gully continues.
- Sothe is revealed to be Maria's older brother as well as being the true mastermind behind the attack on the caravan along with Micaiah.
- Luso and Hurdy develop a combination which they call Resonation.
- Character corner: Claire.
Clan Gully and their comrades go confront the true mastermind behind the attack on the caravan.
- Sothe and Micaiah are revealed to the other characters to be behind the attack on the caravan.
- Character corner: Crow.
The caravan reaches St. Galleria.
- Introductions: Riccio Vento, Ignatius Loyola, Johannes Tetzel, Ogma, Gerland and Nivus.
- Vaticus and Ignatius are revealed to have a history with Ensei.
- Judgemaster Cid is seen in this chapter but is not named yet.
- Character corner: Maria.
Ensei investigates his suspicions on Vaticus Finch.
- Introductions: Heretic members Cama Leonte and Sole Calabrone.
- The Moogle Animist's name is revealed to be Crockett.
- Sothe, Micaiah and Crockett are revealed to be members of The Heretics.
- Vaticus' real name is revealed to be Jacobus Sicuro.
- Character corner: Sole Calabrone.
A lockdown occurs on St. Galleria.
- Introductions: Governor of St. Galleria Aquila Fragin de Pervenche.
- Auggie is revealed to be just a nickname and that his real name is Augustus.
- Aquila is revealed to be Sothe's and Maria's father.
- Character corner: Sasasha.
Vaticus attempts to convict Clan Gully and Clan Falzen as criminals.
- Clan Gully and Clan Falzen join forces with The Heretics.
- Character corner: Marion.
Sothe tells Clan Gully and Clan Falzen why he opposes Vaticus Finch.
- Introductions: Vito Ricerca and Judgemaster Cid Randell.
- Sothe, Micaiah, Crockett and Vito are revealed to be the founding members of The Heretics.
- Character corner: Crockett.
Chapters 21 to 30
Judgemaster Cid arrives in St. Galleria.
- Judgemaster Cid is the unofficially known as the strongest man in Jylland.
- Judgemaster Cid is revealed to be who Auggie planned to meet up with in St. Galleria.
- Ogma, Gerland and Nivus are revealed to form the Judgemaster Personal Guard
- Judgemaster Cid is revealed to know Ensei.
- Character corner: Vito Ricerca.
Auggie and Ensei go and meet with Judgemaster Cid.
- Sir Loin and Judgemaster Cid are revealed to know each other.
- Sir Loin is captured by Ignatius.
- Luso starts radiating Aura.
The Heretics, Clan Gully and Clan Falzen disrupt Maria's and Vaticus' wedding
- Sir Loin is freed by Cama Leonte.
- Ensei confronts Ignatius.
- Character corner: Cama Leonte.
Ensei's and Ignatius' battle continues.
- Ensei's sword is revealed to be able to absorb Mist.
- We see Ignatius' and Riccio's Freudian Excuse.
Vaticus and Johannes explain why they are trying to take over St. Galleria.
- St. Galleria's lands are revealed to have significant deposits of resources that are core to weapons manufacturing.
- Ensei gives Judgemaster Cid sufficient evidence to allow him to act against Vaticus.
- The battle between Vaticus and the duo of Luso and Adelle begins.
Luso and Adelle's battle with Vaticus Finch continues.
- Vaticus' Freudian Excuse is revealed.
- Grant appears in Vaticus Backstory. He is properly introduced later.
- Ogma, Gerland and Nivus joins the battle against the Archbishop Guard under orders from Judgemaster Cid.
- Maria gets a crush on Luso.
Sir Loin searches for his daughter.
- Vaticus gives Luso, Maria and Adelle a stone that is important, but it was lost when Raven and Crow entered the scene.
- Raven and Crow are revealed to be members of Khamja.
- Raven is sometimes known as Dread Raven.
- Sir Loin dies saving Adelle.
Judgemaster Cid and Ensei confront Raven and Crow.
- Crow has regrets about the whole thing.
- Raven and Crow escapes.
- The battle between The Heretics and the Archbishop Guard ends.
- Luso comforts Adelle over the death of her father.
- Adelle joins Clan Gully.
Clan Gully leaves St. Galleria.
- Judgemaster Cid is revealed to have found the stone Vaticus gave Luso, Adelle and Maria and passes it on to Cid and Ensei so that they can find out about it.
- The stone is revealed to be a Magicite, a class of which Auggie cannot recognise.
- Clan Gully plans to head to the Aldanna Range with Judgemaster Cid, his personal guards and Auggie before parting ways with them and heading to Grazton.
- Maria kisses Luso on the cheek.
Clan Gully and their comrades arrive in the Aldanna Range.
Chapters 31 to 40
Clan Gully is introduced to Lezaford.
- Luso, Auggie, Judgemaster Cid, Ogma, Gerland and Nivus prepare to enter Jagd Zellea to perform the procedure that will allow Luso to channel Mist
Luso, Auggie, Judgemaster Cid, Ogma, Gerland and Nivus arrive at Jagd Zellea with Lezaford's help.
- Judgemaster Cid discovers a building in Jagd Zellea.
The procedure to allow Luso to channel Mist is finished.
- Introductions: Bensom and Jylland Defenders of the Peace Captain Roland Fallhorn.
- Character corner: "Thundrake" Ogma.
Luso reveals to the rest of his clan that he is from another world.
- Introductions: Veis.
- Vili, Veis' sister, is seen in this chapter but is not yet named.
- Character corner: "Firewyrm" Gerland.
Clan Gully arrives in Vieg Town.
- Introductions: House Bowen clan members Loa, Tweigle and Bowen, and Veis' little sister Vili.
- Luso and Cheney meet Veis and Vili.
- Luso and Cheney are joined by Veis and Vili on a hunting quest.
- Luso, Cheney, Veis and Vili meet House Bowen.
- Character corner: "Icedrake" Nivus.
- Location info: Vieg Town.
Luso, Veis, Vili and House Bowen confront Klesta.
- Introductions: Klesta.
- We meet a White Mage who isn't named yet.
- Character corner: Alberio Augustus aka Auggie.
Cheney and Bowen get into a fight.
- Cheney's Backstory with House Bowen is revealed.
- Bowen goes to confront Klesta by himself.
- Character corner: Cid Randell.
Bowen, later joined by Luso, Cheney, Veis, Vili, Loa and Tweigle confront Klesta.
- We see some Backstory between House Bowen and their dead member Freise.
- Character corner: Veis.
More of Cheney's Backstory
, from before
joining House Bowen, is revealed.
- Veis joins House Bowen.
- Vili is introduced to the rest of Clan Gully.
- Vili joins Clan Gully.
- Character corner: Vili.
Kanin goes on a date with the guy who helped her earlier.
- Introductions: White Mage of Humeism Graham Hartford.
- The guy who helped Kanin earlier is revealed to be Graham.
- Kanin is revealed to be a Feol Viera.
- Graham, and the rest of Humeism are revealed to be a group of Hume supremasists.
- Character corner: Vili.
Chapters 41 to 50
The politics of Jylland in Bervenia are shown.
- Introductions: Queen Remedi Grandine Thetaline de Vesperania, Current Royal Court Magician of the Republic of Loar Babus Swain, Grand Duke of Moorabella Basil von Reighlard, Baron of Grazton and Head of House Beltorey Belmont Orleandou Beltorey and Ewen.
- The Bus Came Back: Judgemaster Cid, Auggie and Micaiah.
- St. Galleria decides to get annexed under Queen Remedi's reign.
- Baron Beltorey and Duke Reighlard are tasked with the formation of the charter of St. Galleria.
Clan Gully arrives in Grazton.
- Introductions: Al Cid Margrace and his assistant Marie.
- Cid is revealed to know how to coat a special water-walking resin on to shoes, causing the members of Clan Gully who aren't Cid or Ensei to wonder about Cid's past.
- The Bus Came Back: Dread Raven and Crow.
Luso goes shopping with Hurdy, Kanin and Adelle.
- Introductions: Anrias
- The Bus Came Back: Vaan and Penelo.
- Luso and Hurdy meet up with Vaan and Penelo again.
- Cheney and Vili encounter a lead in Cheney's quest to take down the poaching rings in Jylland.
- Luso, Hurdy, Kanin and Adelle learn of a water race known as the Acqua Alta and that Vaan is participating.
- Luso decides to take part in the Acqua Alta.
The race begins.
- Introductions: Diez Carnosa, Diez's associate a Moogle Black Mage, Clan Gully's chocobo Gull, Ling Wacciunto and Lavine Soffiare.
- Luso uses Gull in the water race.
- Nero is seen but not yet properly introduced in this chapter.
- Character corner: Al Cid Margrace.
The race continues.
- Character corner: Gull.
Cid visits an old friend of his.
- Introductions: Barley.
- Commuting on a Bus: Francesca.
- Cheney, Vili and Anrias meet Francesca.
- Francesca is revealed to be the president of Jytras Mercantile.
- Cid encounters Dread Raven and Crow again.
- Character corner: Vaan.
Cid is taken prisoner
by Dread Raven. The rest of Clan Gully arrive at Baron Beltorey's party.
An attack begins on Baron Beltorey's party.
- Character corner: Baron Beltorey.
The attack continues.
- Introduction: The commander who is thus far a nameless character.
- Clan Gully, the Sky Pirates, Al Cid and Marie join the battle against the attackers.
- Penelo is revealed to other characters to be a Dancer.
- Character corner: Penelo.
The attack ends.
- Some explanation is given to the way the Fusilier class works in this story.
- Baron Beltorey is taken prisoner by Ewen.
- Barley is captured by Clan Gully.
Chapters 51 to 60
Clan Gully, the Sky Pirates, the commander, Al Cid and Marie meet to discuss what to do.
Luso and Crow negotiate the exchange between their two groups.
- Item corner: Whisperweed.
Cheney, Vili and Anrias begin their major distraction of Khamja forces.
The attack on Khamja's base to rescue Cid and Baron Beltorey begins
- Introductions: Alys, Maquis and Kain Kimahri.
Luso and Crow begin their battle.
- Luso is revealed to be wearing the Flame Robe.
- Crow has developed a new technique combining elements of Fire and Ice spells to create and manipulate air currents.
Kanin, Adelle, Ensei, Barley and the commander continue their search.
- Cid is found.
- Khamja is revealed to have a Fantastic Rank System.
- Barley and the commander encounter Ewen.
- Crow is revealed to have been Nero from the Acqua Alta.
- Dread Raven is revealed to have watched Crow confess to lying about Luso accepting the terms of the exchange.
Dread Raven gives Crow a chance to make sure he doesn't get punished, and that is by killing Luso.
- Barley, in a misguided attempt to make sure everyone comes out alive, turns on the commander.
- Kanin and Adelle find out that Cid used to be a part of Khamja.
- Cid tells the others that it was Barley who betrayed him to Khamja in the first place.
- Crow performs a Heel-Face Turn.
- Crow's real name is revealed to be Aleister but is happy with just Crow.
- Dread Raven is revealed to be immortal due to a Khamja project involving Zombie Powder.
The last part of the attack on Khamja's base.
- Cid becomes heavily wounded.
- Barley attempts to save Cid and is killed because of it.
- Khamja abandons their base in Grazton.
Clan Gully, Baron Beltorey, the commander, Vaan, Penelo, Al Cid and Marie deal with the aftermath of the attack on Khamja's base.
- The group learns that Barley is dead.
- Clan Gully learns that Cid will have to stop active clan duty due to the injury to his heart that White Magic cannot heal.
- Clan Gully becomes famous due to them saving Baron Beltorey.
Khamja's and Duelhorn's Villain Episode
- Introductions: Duke Snakeheart and Night Dancer.
- Illua and Francesca are revealed to know each other.
- Maquis' and Alys' full names/titles are revealed to be Maquis the Phantasm and Alys the Ensorceled.
- Duelhorn declares war on Khamja.
Chapters 61 to x
Clan Gully takes a break in Grazton before leaving.
- Introductions: Grant.
- Commuting on a Bus: Micaiah.
- Clan Gully meets Micaiah again.
- Grant provides a way to possibly allow Cid to reenter active clan duty.
- Al Cid's assistant Marie is revealed to have a crush on him.
- Crow joins Clan Gully.
Clan Gully arrives in Camoa.
- Introductions: Chita's Weaponers Clan Commander "Mastersmith" Chita Wayland.
- Baron Beltorey tells Judgemaster Cid about Khamja having members within the ranks of the Jylland Defenders of the Peace so he can investigate it.
- Ensei learns from Ribs that Baron Beltorey plans to fully sponsor one of the winners of the Camoa Cup.
- Chita reveals to most of Clan Gully that he knows Kanin and Ensei.
Ensei tells the other members of Clan Gully about what Baron Beltory and Duke Reighlard have come up with to resolve their impasse over St. Galleria.
- Introductions: Acidwire clan leader "Acid" Suzuka.
- The Bus Came Back: Anna and Sasasha.
- Even though officially Cid and Ensei are both Clan Gully's leaders, it is revealed that in practice, Cid is Clan Gully's only leader, due to being the one who manages Clan Gully's finance and supplies and makes the final decision when all else fails.
- Clan Gully decides to take part in the Camoa Cup.
The Camoa Cup begins.
- Introductions: Head of House Eden and Lord of Camoa Fohgginus Eden.
- The Bus Came Back: The equipment shopkeeper and Baron Popple.
- Anna and Sasasha arrive in Camoa.
- The name of the shopkeeper whom Luso bought swords from the last time he was in Camoa is revealed to be Gofannon.
- Luso defeates "Acid" Suzuka during The Camoa Cup.
The Camoa Cup ends.
- Clan Gully meets up with Anna and Sasasha again.
- Luso becomes a Parivir.
- Cheney, Hurdy and Adelle decide to head to the Aldanna Range to train while the remainder are heading to Moorabella.
- Luso gets a new outfit. A personalized version of the Parivir uniform.
- Chita and Anna tags along with the group heading to Moorabella.
Luso tells Kanin and Adelle a bit more about his life before Ivalice. Vili cooks, with almost lethal results
. Luso, Cheney and Chita encounter the Camoan native who cheered them up again.
- Luso used to have two friends from before Ivalice whom he hasn't seen in a long time even before Ivalice.
- Assassins like Vili are revealed to condition themselves to poison to build up immunities.
- The Camoan native who cheered Luso and Cheney up turned out to be the father of the girl Luso, Cheney and Hurdy helped all the way back in Chapter 8.
Clan Gully, Chita and Anna arrive in Zedlei Forest.
- Clan Gully and co is captured by the Viera of Zedlei Forest.