An Animated Adaptation of The Smurfs comic book story "The Olympic Smurfs" (original French title Les Schtroumpfs Olympiques), with a bit of "Smurf Vs. Smurf" (original French title Schtroumpf Vert et Vert Schtroumpf) thrown in. It was aired around the time of the 1984 Summer Olympics.In the story, Papa Smurf decides to have an Olympic contest for his little Smurfs to compete in so they could have fun and also train themselves in the event that they could escape from Gargamel and Azrael whenever they appear. The village originally divides itself into two teams, with Hefty being the captain of the East Village team and Handy being the captain of the West Village team. However, when the divided line was painted right over Clumsy's house, not to mention Clumsy himself, Smurfette decides to have herself and Clumsy become a third team that will compete in the Smurfic Games.During the training period and the Smurfic Games itself, Papa Smurf had to deal with an Artifact of Doom that was sent to him by his old friend Argus called the Medallion Of Poseidon, which is what Argus' cousin Gargamel is after. At first Papa Smurf takes it out into the forest to bury it deep into the ground to render its power inert, but Brainy who was spying on Papa Smurf digs it back up and thinks that it would be great for the Smurfic Games Medal, so he has Painter repaint the medal gold with a Smurf face on it. Meanwhile, Gargamel gathers up three things to activate the power of the medallion: dragon's fire, hair of a bear, and a pair of an ogre's underwear which he gets from Bigmouth.As the three teams end up with a tie by the time of the final event, which is the Smurfathon that will take Hefty, Handy, and Clumsy through a path near the mountain range and back to the Smurf Village, Gargamel is ready to unleash the destructive power of the medallion. As he begins reciting the incantation with the three items he has gathered, he causes an avalanche that knocks Handy off the course and forces Hefty to abandon trying to beat his opponents so he could rescue his friend. While this is going on, Clumsy passes by the both of them and reaches the finish line, winning the Smurfic Games. But just as he is about to be awarded with the Smurfic Games Medal, it reveals itself to be the Medallion Of Poseidon, and a terrible earthquake rips through the Smurf Village, also threatening to swallow up Gargamel as well. Papa Smurf takes the medallion and recites the spell to bury it deep in the ground, sealing up the earth in the process. Gargamel finds himself rescued by a very angry Bigmouth who wonders what the evil wizard has done with his underwear.With the Smurfs glad to see that they have escaped calamity yet again, Hefty and Handy both make amends with each other, Papa Smurf tells Brainy that the Smurfic Games will now be held every four years because of what had happened, and Clumsy is given the honors of being the champion of the first ever Smurfic Games.
This special contains examples of
- Artifact of Doom: The Medallion Of Poseidon.
- Dark Horse Victory: Nobody ever expected Clumsy to win the Smurfic Games.
- Exposed to the Elements: Again, it's the Smurfs that hardly wear anything heavier than a scarf in snowy conditions.
- Human Snowball: Clumsy turns into a Smurf snowball when he attempts to make a ski jump run during the Smurfic Games.
- No Body Left Behind: Gargamel's cousin Argus disappears when he dies, and so does his castle.
- The Olympics
- Parodies of Fire: A "Jimmy Hart version" of the Chariots of Fire theme song plays when Clumsy strains to reach the finish line at the end of the Smurfathlon.
- Separated by a Common Language: The Smurfs on the east and west sides of the village use the word "smurf" differently in compounded words and phrases.
- This Is My Side: Brainy paints a line straight through the middle of the village to separate the two teams...and the line is also painted right over Clumsy and his house!
- Trash the Set: The Smurf Village goes through a trashing in this episode courtesy of the Medallion of Poseidon.