An Animated Adaptation of The Smurfs comic book story of the same name, with Hogatha taking the place of Gargamel.In the story, Hogatha wishes to get revenge on the Smurfs for destroying her magic locket in "Bewitched, Bothered, And Be-Smurfed" which cost her one of her nine lives, so she brews up a potion that will change her into a Smurf, albeit a male Smurf. After swallowing the completed formula, Hogatha checks to see her transformation and realizes that it isn't completely perfect — the one thing she lacks is a tail. Taking a pea from the table and painting it blue before putting a spot of glue on it, Hogatha creates a tail for herself and then heads out into the forest to find a Smurf that will take her into the Smurf Village. As luck would have it, Hogatha finds Vanity near a sarsaparilla patch, who offers her a sarsaparilla leaf to eat, only for her to find out that it tastes terrible.Hogatha follows Vanity into the village, and as Papa Smurf gathers up all the Smurfs to practice the 100 Smurf Dance, Hogatha tries to go her own separate way when Papa Smurf gets her to join the others in the dance. However, Hogatha finds herself unable to follow along and messes up everything in the dance, forcing Papa Smurf to expel her from the group. Glad that at least her cover wasn't blown, Hogatha goes into a Smurf's house and sees something boiling in the kettle. Thinking it to be soup, she puts a little poison root in it, hoping that the Smurfs will eat the soup with the poison and die from it. But during the meal where she sits and watches the other Smurfs eat hardy, Hogatha sees that they're not affected by the soup, and so goes back to the house with the boiling kettle and finds out that it's full of nothing but dirty laundry.Hogatha tries another method for doing in the Smurfs: with the completion of the suspension bridge over the River Smurf, she plants Jokey's "surprise" packages underneath the bridge and waits for the Smurfs to begin crossing it so that she can blow them up. Unfortunately, her explosive sabotage didn't go off until she crosses over the bridge, and she ends up falling into the river, crying out for help. After the Smurfs rescue her, Papa Smurf sees that someone has sabotaged the bridge and tells his little Smurfs that there's "a smurf among us". Fearing that she will be found out, Hogatha tries to sneak away, but in doing so her tail falls off, which was discovered by Clumsy and brought to Papa Smurf's attention.Papa Smurf then calls his little Smurfs together again to warn them of a "fake Smurf" on the loose. Hogatha realizes at this point that part of her masquerade is gone and flees into Papa Smurf's laboratory to make a potion that will restore her true form so she could squash the village flat. Several Smurfs get a battering ram to break down the door so they could stop Hogatha, but it is too late: she swallows the completed formula and transforms back into her old appearance...though now she is only Smurf-size. Unable to cast a spell to defend herself, Hogatha was captured by the Smurfs and brought out to the village limits where they set her free, warning her to never set foot in the village again.
Tropes associated with this episode include
- Ate the Spoon: The potion Hogatha created for changing herself into a Smurf was so powerful that it dissolved the spoon.
- Battering Ram
- Call Back: To "Bewitched, Bothered, And Be-Smurfed".
- Delayed Explosion: What Hogatha's attempt to destroy the Smurfs by sabotaging the bridge with Jokey's "surprises" ended up turning into.
- Gender Bender: Hogatha the witch becomes a male Smurf.
- Gender Flip: The main antagonist is switched from male to female in this adaptation.
- Impostor Forgot One Detail: Hogatha's impersonation of a Smurf lacked her having a tail.
- Meaningful Name: Hogatha's Smurf impersonation was named Snorty Smurf because of her Verbal Tic.
- Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony: Papa Smurf does this with the newly-completed bridge.
- Tampering with Food and Drink: Attempted by Hogatha and failed, as she didn't know what she actually put the poison root into.