Homer's thoughtless anniversary gift to Marge causes the first of many marriage crises between them when Marge takes bowling lessons and is charmed by a French bowler named Jacques.
- Blatant Lies: When Homer gives Marge a bowling ball, she accuses him of giving her that gift in hopes that she won't use it so he'll keep it and, as evidence, points out that the ball has his name written on it. He claims that it's so she'll remember who gave it to her.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Homer goes through one when he realizes Marge might be having an affair since she's going out every night. He only breaks out of it once she comes to see him at work at the end of the episode.
- Speed Sex: Alluded to. "I'm going to the backseat of my car with the woman I love! And I won't be back for TEN MINUTES!"
- Pun-Based Title: At first, Jacques the French bowler would be a Swede named Bjorn and the episode was titled "Bjorn to be Wild".
- Your Cheating Heart: Marge cheats on Homer when she falls in love with a bowling instructor named Jacques, who continues to seduce Marge into going out with him and abandon her marriage. This lasts until Marge changes directions from going to his house to surprising Homer at work and reconciling with her husband.