First Aired - 4/1/1993An April Fools' Day prank leaves Homer in a coma. As the family waits to see if he'll recover, they recount moments from previous episodes...of their lives.
This episode contains examples of:
- Achilles' Heel: Homer's is beer, according to him.
- April Fools' Plot
- Clip Show: The first one, and, as the title suggests, one that the writers had no choice but to do. On the DVD Commentary, they admitted to feeling overworked as Season 4 went on, so James L. Brooks suggested a clip show to take the edge off.
- Establishing Shot: Lampshaded when Lisa's memory of playing the saxophone for Homer in "One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish" cuts to outside the house.Mike Reiss: Lisa's memory cut to an establishing shot.
- Police Are Useless: Wiggum is content to blow off the explosion at the Simpsons' house... until he learns beer is coming out of the chimney.
- Shout-Out: A reference is made to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Don McLean's song "Vincent".
- What Could Have Been: FOX wanted four clip shows per season to add more to the episode count and for cheaper the cost. Writers and producers refused, fearing that would alienate fans. The next clip show (the one where Marge wants to talk to the family about romance) wouldn't be until season six.
- Who's Laughing Now?: During the flashback explaining the origins of April Fools' Day. The Christians (played by the Flanders) prank the pagans (played by the Simpsons). One angry growl later and the Christians are being burned at the stake.