Episode - 7F06
First Aired - 12/6/1990A night at a monster truck rally featuring daredevil Lance Murdock prompts Bart to do daredevil tricks on his skateboard — and set his sights on jumping The Springfield Gorge.
This episode contains examples of:
- Amusing Injuries: Downplayed. Homer's pain and injuury from falling down the gorge seems more serious than the way it would be treated on common contemporary cartoons or a Looney Tunes classic like Wile. E. Coyote. But on the other hand, it's far from realistic or graphic, and most important of all, it doesn't go with an extreme level of painfulness, but rather, something exactly as painful as it can get while still being very funny. It definitely falls in the middle ground between realism vs. a pure slapstick.
- Characterization Marches On: Dr. Hibbert, in his first appearance, is a stern and competent doctor, a far cry from the Cosby-esque scatterbrain he'd become.
- Combat Pragmatist: During the wrestling match, Professor Werner von Brawn beans Rasputin on the head with a wrench he smuggled under his belt while the Russian's back is turned, knocking him out. The referee permits inexplicably this and declares him the winner, much to the outrage of the announcer and the audience.
- Do Not Do This Cool Thing: In-universe. Bart still wants to jump the Springfield Gorge despite being confronted with the painful sight of many daredevils in the hospital.
- Heel–Face Turn: Rasputin the Friendly Russian (nee the Mad Russian), thanks to the inevitable forces of history.
- Hope Spot: During the (accidental) jump across the gorge, Homer believes he is going to get across, but then his forward momentum stops near the middle and he falls down.Homer: I'm gonna make it. I'M GONNA MAKE IT! THIS IS THE GREATEST THRILL OF MY LIFE! I'M KING OF THE WORLD! WOO-HOO! WOO-HOO! I- [yelling] WHAAAAH!
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Lance Murdock = Evel Knievel, right down to the world record for most broken bones.
- Pet the Dog: During the symphony, Homer is so focused on getting to the monster truck rally that he ignores pretty much everything. Once the family is finally on their way to it, though, Homer hums the tune Lisa was playing as he drives along, showing that he really did enjoy the recital.Lisa: "I reached him."
- Reality Ensues: Homer ends up accidentally skateboarding across the gorge, but misses the other side and falls down. He ends up in traction at the hospital.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In a failed attempt to discourage Bart from trying to jump The Springfield Gorge, Lisa took him to the hospital room where daredevil Lance Murdock was in after one of his stunts. Murdock actually encouraged Bart to try.