First Aired - 12/6/1990A night at a monster truck rally featuring daredevil Lance Murdock prompts Bart to do daredevil tricks on his skateboard — and set his sights on jumping The Springfield Gorge.
This episode contains examples of:
- Characterization Marches On: Dr. Hibbert, in his first appearance, is a stern and competent doctor, a far cry from the Cosby-esque scatterbrain he'd become.
- Deleted Scene: Originally, Homer falling down the cliff after the ambulance crashes into a tree was supposed to have shown Homer hitting the rocks again and getting his head crushed by the gurney (which would have killed him if this show followed reality), but the scene was cut and replaced with a paused shot of the kids looking down while most of the audio can be heard. The actual scene of Homer falling after the ambulance crashes into a tree can be seen on the season four episode, "So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show."
- Do Not Do This Cool Thing: Bart still wants to jump the Springfield Gorge despite being confronted with the painful sight of many daredevils in the hospital.
- Heel-Face Turn: Rasputin the Friendly Russian (nee the Mad Russian), thanks to the inevitable forces of history.
- Hope Spot: During the (accidental) jump across the gorge, Homer believes he is going to get across, but then his forward momentum stops near the middle and he falls down.Homer: I'm gonna make it. I'M GONNA MAKE IT! THIS IS THE GREATEST THRILL OF MY LIFE! I'M KING OF THE WORLD! WOO-HOO! WOO-HOO! I- [yelling] WHAAAAH!
- Reality Ensues: Homer ends up accidentally skateboarding across the gorge, but misses the other side and falls down. He ends up in traction at the hospital.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In a failed attempt to discourage Bart from trying to jump The Springfield Gorge, Lisa took him to the hospital room where daredevil Lance Murdock was in after one of his stunts. Murdock actually encouraged Bart to try.