Episode - 7F13\\
First Aired - 2/7/1991
Homer gets an illegal cable hook-up, which causes Lisa to worry for her father's soul, as she learned about the 8th Commandment[[note]] even though the Roman Catholic and Lutheran sects of Christianity have "Thou shalt not steal" down as the seventh commandment, meaning that the first two commandments -- "Thou shalt not have other gods before Me" and "Thou shalt not worship any graven images" -- are merged together[[/note]] in Sunday school ("Thou shalt not steal") and begins seeing theft everywhere she looks.
* AdultFear: While Lisa's nightmarish ImagineSpot shows her fears of going to Hell depicted in FireAndBrimstoneHell style, Homer's shows his fears of being isolated from his family (or at least everyone [[TheUnfavorite but Bart]]).
* BeingGoodSucks: Homer misses the match and deprives himself of cable after his conscience gets the better of him.
-->'''Lisa:''' Dad, we may have just saved your soul.\\
'''Homer:''' Yeah, at the worst possible time!
* CallBack: While Homer is watching TV, one sound clip heard is [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS2E9ItchyAndScratchyAndMarge Scratchy saying "Lemonade?"]]
* CharacterizationMarchesOn: It seems unusual for Lisa to be so gung-ho about Christian morals after she's been a Buddhist for several seasons, not to mention more concerned with the environment and social justice than her own moral status.
* CorruptCop: Some cops show up at the Simpson residence upon being informed Homer has an illegal cable hook-up. Homer is initially afraid they're there to arrest him but they tell him they just want to watch the match.
* DigitalPiracyIsEvil: This trope is played remarkably straight. Even the guy who hooks up the cable is later shown to be stealing car stereos and breaking into houses. Homer, who's shown to have stolen from Moe's and work and is an unabashed alcoholic and JerkAss, comes to view this (although only after [[SoapboxSadie Lisa and Marge]] guilt-tripped him to the point he gave in) as a kind of [[EvenEvilHasStandards evil even]] ''[[EvenEvilHasStandards he]]'' [[EvenEvilHasStandards can't support]].
* DirtyKid: Bart takes a liking to the adult programming on Top Hat Entertainment, and charges all the other boys in the neighborhood to come watch it.
* DistantPrologue: "Mt. Sinai: 1220 B.C."
* EarlyInstallmentWeirdness: When Homer says he only invited a few close friends to watch the fight, and then Apu shows up, it's meant as a joke: the idea is that Homer [[HypocriticalHumor has actually invited anyone and everyone to watch the fight]], even if they're less a "close friend" and more just a "guy I see at the convenience store a lot". Since this episode aired, however, the show has really built up the friendship between Apu and the Simpson family, to the point where him showing up at a gathering of Homer's close friends would make complete sense.
* FunnyBackgroundEvent: Jimbo Jones can twice be seen stealing things in the background, at the supermarket and later at the Kwik-e-Mart.
* HolierThanThou: Lisa ''really'' lays it on thick over the Eighth Commandment. When she guilts Marge into paying for two grapes she sampled at the grocery store, the clerk is annoyed that he has to call in a price check for two grapes.
* InsistentTerminology: When Mr. Burns shows up to watch the fight, Homer tells Bart to hide the stuff he "borrowed" from work. Bart won't obey until Homer admits that, by "borrowed", he actually means "stole".
* InsufferableGenius [=/=] RightlySelfRighteous: Lisa and Marge guilt trip Homer into giving up cable. Homer eventually admits defeat, but tells them he loathes them for it. They just smirk in response. Earlier, Lisa did the same to Marge over testing two grapes in store, Marge was similarly annoyed by it while Lisa just smiled. She's right and both sides sure know it.
* NoCelebritiesWereHarmed: Drederick Tatum is a parody of Mike Tyson. His opponent Watson is based on Marvin Hagler.
* OOCIsSeriousBusiness: The normally friendly Ned is furious that he was offered illegal cable hook-up and yells at the shady cable man to leave.
* RealityEnsues: Lisa forces Marge to admit she ate two grapes to a grocery store clerk. Rather than comically overreacting, the clerk does not care and openly mocks Marge for asking to be charged for them.
* SpecialGuest: Creator/PhilHartman as the Cable Guy, Moses, and Troy [=McClure=]
** And a bunch of the voices on TV. They really got their money's worth out of Hartman's appearance!