Recap / The Simpsons S 23 E 5 The Food Wife
Marge, Bart and Lisa start a food blog, and the ever-hungry Homer wants in on it.
This episode contains examples of (YMMV tropes can be found here):
- Arcade Sounds: Although most of the games at the E4 Conference look current, you can clearly hear Space Invaders in the background.
- The Bore: Another episode about Marge dealing with this. However this time it's deconstructed since Marge is upset about it since it means that her children would rather spend time with Homer than her. Attempts to be fun end in diaster and lead to her children almost outright hating her before they stumble on the Etheopian restaurant.
- Homer also deconstructs it, since he see's Marge being the bore as her duty and being the 'fun one' as his. When Marge ceases being the bore it upsets Homer since he's no longer the one the kids want to spend all their time with.
- Food Porn: The episode has many detailed shots of exotic food. Although it may be a subversion in that they are...too different to be appetizing for some.
- Homoerotic Subtext: At E4, the Earthland Realms sequel Earthland Realms 2: The Outing of the Elves could refer to the elves going on an outing, or the elves being outed.
- Picky Eater: Homer (believe it or not) tells the family he hates exotic food over regular and plain items like burgers or whatevers in the fridge.
- Shout-Out: A dessert from one of the restaurants Marge, Bart and Lisa visit for their blog causes the man who eats it to have a similar reaction to the one Anton Ego had when he ate ratatouille.