Recap / The Simpsons S 23 E 19 A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again
The Simpsons are going on a cruise vacation — one that Bart doesn't want to end, as he fears his life on land is boring, so he fakes a viral pandemic on land.
- An Aesop: "Stop complaining about not having fun, and instead, actually have fun."
- Deal with the Devil: When Bart suddenly found himself with enough money for the cruise vacation, he initially thought the Devil agreed to the deal.
- Did Not Think This Through: While it can be argued that Bart is a ten year old kid. Even he should've realized that lying to the ship that a pandemic had broken out was a bad idea in the long run. If he wanted to prolong the vacation, at least think of a way to keep it going for another week without scaring the passengers and crew..
- When you're entertainig your guests, maybe not remind them of how miserable they will be once the cruise is over and they have to return to their boring, monotonous dead-end lives?
- Disproportionate Retribution: Yeah Bart's prank was pretty horrible but that's no reason the whole family has to be stranded in Antarctica because of it. At the most they could've just thrown Bart in the brig on the return trip.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: At the end when the Simpsons get stranded in Antarctica. They cause Bart to realize that enjoying the best moments in life can make it fun. The family ends up joining the penguins playing on the ice.
- I'm a Humanitarian: One of the cruise guests freaks out because she thinks she ate "people meat" during the time the ship was isolated from land. Its never confirmed, but judging by the general state of the boat, its entirerly possible.
- Irony: Homer was briefly reading a magazine titled "Magazine Hater".
- The Magazine Rule: This episode features a magazine for magazine haters.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: The vacation was going fine with no hitches whatsoever (they even got two upgrades for free). Then Bart panics when he realizes that it'll eventually end within the week. So he fakes a pandemic on the mainline just to keep it going. The ship falls to hell by the time the second week hits.
- What an Idiot: The actor who starred in the movie Bart used to fake the virus pandemic is on the boat, yet never realized they were using his movie as footage. His only excuse is that "he made a lot of movies". The rest of the guests look understandably furious.