Recap: The Simpsons S 23 E 19 A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again
The Simpsons are going on a cruise vacation — one that Bart doesn't want to end, as he fears his life on land is boring, so he fakes a viral pandemic on land.
- An Aesop: "Stop complaining about not having fun, and instead, actually have fun."
- Deal with the Devil: When Bart suddenly found himself with enough money for the cruise vacation, he initially thought the Devil agreed to the deal.
- Did Not Think This Through: While it can be argued that Bart is a ten year old kid. Even he should've realized that lying to the ship that a pandemic had broken out was a bad idea in the long run. If he wanted to prolong the vacation, at least think of a way to keep it going for another week without scaring the passengers and crew..
- Disproportionate Retribution: Yeah Bart's prank was pretty horrible but that's no reason the whole family has to be stranded in Antarctica because of it. At the most they could've just thrown Bart in the brig on the return trip.
- Irony: Homer was briefly reading a magazine titled "Magazine Hater".
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The vacation was going fine with no hitches whatsoever (they even got two upgrades for free). Then Bart panics when he realizes that it'll eventually end within the week. So he fakes a pandemic on the mainline just to keep it going. The ship falls to hell by the time the second week hits.
- Shout-Out: The ending of an elderly Bart looking back on his life is based on the ending to Titanic.