Recap: The Simpsons S 23 E 16 How I Wet Your Mother
After getting his coworkers in trouble for stealing office supplies, Homer begins wetting the bed. Thinking this is Laser-Guided Karma for what he did, he tries to atone — only to continue peeing in his sleep. With the help of Professor Frink, the Simpsons go on an Inception-style journey to Homer's dreams to find out why he's been wetting the bed.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Homer's dream is falling, Marge's dream is drowning of fish, and Lisa's dream is having tomatoes thrown at them.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: Once atonement for how Homer screwed his coworkers didn't stop him from wetting his bed, he drew a knife and said it was time for drastic measures. He cut open the plastic wrapping of the yellow pages. (Or, as it's known in-universe, the internet for old people)
- Freudian Excuse: for Homer's bed wetting.
- Grim Reaper: Appears in Homer's first dream. When the family goes over the side of the mountain, the Reaper joins them and is screaming alongside them before remembering he can't die... and then turns around and sees a gigantic, beastial reaper with wings flying beside him and roaring like a dinosaur. The first reaper is understandably scared shitless.
- Latex Perfection: After Death/the Grim Reaper saves the family in one of Homer's dreams, "he" peels off his rubber skull mask, revealing to be Mona Simpson, whom lives on in Homer's dreams.
- Lost in Translation: When translated into Brazilian Portuguese, "met" and "wet" (as in "urinated on," not the adjective meaning "covered or saturated in liquid") become respectively "conheci" and "molhei". The translators used the first and completely killed the pun.
- Meet Your Early Installment Weirdness: In one of the dreams, the Simpsons act and look as they did in the early The Tracy Ullman Show shorts.
- Pun-Based Title: The title is based on the sitcom How I Met Your Mother.
- Recursive Reality
- Whole Plot Reference: Despite the title being based on How I Met Your Mother, the episode plot is similar to Inception.