- Call-Back: Moe has pictures of how he changed his bar in Homer the Moe (not to be confused with this episode, "Homer the Moe" is the one where Moe turns his bar into a hipster nightclub while Homer turns his garage into a bar for average Joes), Bart Sells His Soul (the subplot of Moe turning his bar into a kitschy family restaurant), and Mommie Beerest (Moe teaming up with Marge to make an English pub).
- Hippy Teacher: Calliope, the substitute music teacher.“You can't teach music. You embrace music. Oh, you inhale music. You roll around in a pile of music until...the scent of music is on you, forever.”
- Mistaken for Gay: The gay patrons think Moe is one of them, and he tries to run with it just to keep them from leaving the bar (while also being convinced to run for the elections to represent the gay community). Smithers forces him to admit the truth.
- Name's the Same: There is another Simpsons episode called "Flaming Moe's", (the one where Moe steals Homer's idea for a cocktail made with children's cough syrup and Aerosmith becomes the first band to guest star on a Simpsons episode) which had a drink called "The Flaming Moe."
- Pet Heir: One of the beneficiaries in Mr. Burns' will.
- Something Else Also Rises: When Calliope, the substitute teacher, accepts Principal Skinner's offer for a date the cheese volcano behind him erupts.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Once Mr. Burns' daily half hour of sanity ends, he starts riding his lawyer while he imagines he's riding a dinosaur. When Homer entered Burns' office, he also believed a dinosaur was there.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Comic Book Guy's cousin Comic Book Gay looks like Comic Book Guy with a moustache.