Recap / The Simpsons S 20 E 2 Lost Verizon
Bart gets a hold of Dennis Leary's cellphone while working at a country club to buy his own, but when Dennis Leary himself confronts Marge about Bart tricking him into playing in crappy roles, Marge becomes a more controlling mother and Bart runs off to the ancient South American city of Machu Picchu.
- Aesop Amnesia: Marge learns yet again not to be so smothering and overprotective towards her children.
- Broken Aesop: Yes, Marge keeping an eye on the boy who did transparent act of vandalism the whole episode is smothering.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Marge violating her son's privacy is treated bad, but that first thing she spotted was Bart driving a forklift with Milhouse on it — he really needed supervision. It's not even Bart's phone — he stole it from Denis Leary and profited from it to give the actor grievance.
- Mood Whiplash: "Night is scary. DAY IS AWESOME!"
- My Beloved Smother: The B-plot has Marge learn not to be so smothering toward Bart.
- Mythology Gag: It's not the first time Australia hears it for Bart.
- Nice Day, Deadly Night: Parodied; Bart is left home alone and becomes afraid of nature at night, resulting in an Overly Long Gag of Bart afraid in the dark and happy in the day ("Night is scary." "Day is awesome!")
- Took a Level in Jerkass:
- Bart starts using Dennis Leary's phone to cause a ruckus while pretending to be Dennis Leary, drives a forklift with Milhouse on it, tricks Leary to play bad roles, and finally leads his family on a search for him and enjoys his time alone at home without being concerned over how worried his family are over him.
- Marge activates the GPS in Bart's phone and uses it to spy on him around the clock and feels absolutely no shame for violating her son's privacy whatsoever.
- Lisa learns her family was chasing a bird called a Scarlet Tanager and its migration pattern leads to Machu Picchu, which Lisa had expressed interest in visiting earlier in the episode. She "conveniently" neglects to tell her family this so she can go on the trip she wants.