While Homer is visiting Moe's one day, Carl and Lenny confess that when they were still in high school with Homer, their now-retired prinicpal ordered them to bury the ballot box for their class presidental election (in which Homer ran against Vance Connor -- who had recently beeen inducted to the Springfield Wall of Fame -- and lost). He excavates the box and discovers that he had the most votes. He visits the principal, who confessed that he burried the ballot box to protect Homer from the ridicule that would have resulted had he won. As the Simpsons dine at Luigi's Restaurant that night, Homer meets the saucier of the restaurant, who uses his special tomato sauce to give him a vision what what his life would be like if he became the class president.
This episode is the first one to be shown in high definition and the first episode since season two's "Bart Gets an F" to have a new opening sequence.
* AsYouKnow: The viewers and the characters in the main timeline learn that Homer and Marge have no kids in the other timeline when that timeline's Homer asks his Marge about their kids and she says they don't have any because he used protection.
* TheCheerleader: Debbie Pinson
* GracefulLoser: The sauce reveals that, had Homer won, Vance Connor would have accepted his defeat.
* ForWantOfANail: In the timeline where Homer won the election, he took Debbie Pinson to the prom but still would've ended up with Marge, Mr. Burns would have give him a better position at the plant, his sisters-in-law would like him, he'd have a bigger house built next to the one where Mainstream Homer lives and use the mainstream one as a guest house where Abe lives and doesn't complain about anything, and he used protection to avoid having children. And he still has hair. Patty says she's not gay in that reality.
* HeroicBSOD: Homer doesn't take seeing a world where he got everything he wanted but can never go to well.
** It's not been revealed how the alternative timeline's Patty knows there's a reality where she's gay.
** Homer doesn't believe Bruce Wayne is Batman. Lisa wonder why else he'd believe Batman and Alfred to be friends but Marge tells her to stop pursuing that matter.
* InSpiteOfANail: In both timelines, Homer is married to Marge and works for Mr. Burns.
** For him, as long as he is rich and doesn't have children, it's fine.
* TheyJustDontGetIt: Homer refuses to believe that Bruce Wayne is Batman.