Kodos is a murderous E.T., Homer and Marge are dueling husband and wife assassins, and Flanders uses the seven deadly sins to scare some Halloween hoodlums straight.
- Bond One-Liner: Parodied in "Mr. And Mrs. Simpson" as Homer plans to kill Kent Brockman:Homer (thinking): Now to think of a cool thing to say before I kill him.(beat)Homer (thinking): Ooh! That's a good one! But I don't have to say it aloud because no one's with me!
- Deal with the Devil: Ned channels Satan in order to gain powers to punish the children.
- Dirty Cop: Wiggum investigates Homer and Marge after they fight when they discover that they were both assassins. Marge shoots him with a crossbow to stop him, and his Famous Last Words are "I would have accepted a bribe".
- Downer Ending: One of the few Halloween episodes to avert this. (Although it's ambiguous as to if the deaths in Heck House really happened)
- No Fourth Wall/ Biting-the-Hand Humor: The introductory/ credit segments basically involves Marge murdering every Fox advertisement involving the NFL, American Idol, and FOX's popular dramas and feeding them to the family.
- At the end, Ned tells us that we're going to Hell for watching FOX. "And that includes, FX, FOX Sports, and our newest Devil's portal The Wall Street Journal."
- Insistent Terminology: Since Kodos was alive at the end, it was a vivisection and not a dissection.
- Riddle for the Ages: Whatever Homer thought about saying when he was about to kill Kent Brockman, he never said.
- Seven Deadly Sins: "Heck House"