Recap / The Simpsons S 19 E 17 Apocalypse Cow
Bart tries to save his new cow from the slaughterhouse — and ends up nearly married to a hillbilly girl named Mary.
- Bait and Switch: During the montage of Bart and Lou bonding, Bart is handling a branding iron, making it look like he's about to brand Lou...but he's actually making a collar sign for him.
- A Boy and His X: A Boy and His Cow in this case; Bart tries to save his new cow from the slaughterhouse.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: As their theme song says, the transclown-o-morphs are "transforming clowns that morph."
- Meaningful Name: Mary got her name because she's the one her parents expected to get married. Yes, the Spucklers were that crazy.
Cletus: Isn't that right, Stabbedinjail?
Stabbedinjail: (wielding a whittled spear) We'll see who stabs who.
- Merchandise-Driven: The transforming clowns that morph use their show to sell their cereal. When they're losing, one of them says it's because someone isn't buying it.
- Show Within a Show: Transclown-O-Morphs
- Spit Take: Upon hearing about Bart getting married, Homer's sock puppet does this.
- Take That!: When Bart is bundling manure, the bundles come out as Pirates of the Caribbean 3.
- Similarly, the opening gag is a dig at Merchandise-driven franchises such as Transformers, and product placement in general.
- The way cows are farmed takes a pretty hard hit.
Bart: Wow, Lou, what happened to you? You got fat.
Lisa: Of course he got fat. The food he ate was laced with growth hormones.
(Lou licks Bart's arm, which then grows hairy)