When Ned Flanders and Reverend Lovejoy manage to force the schools to teach creationism, Lisa faces jail time for teaching evolution. Her only hope lands in Marge, who comes up with a solution to save her daughter.
This episode contains examples of (YMMV):
- Artistic License - Law: McLean vs Arkansas Board of Education in 1981 established that teaching creationism in schools is against the Constitution, so it should have been easy for Lisa to force the issue, though you do hear about states like Kansas trying to replace evolution with creationism and considering how everyone in Springfield is backwards and anti-intellectual (remember when they tried to burn Principal Skinner at the stake because of his claims that the Earth revolves around the sun?), the writers probably thought it would be best just to forget that piece of Supreme Court history.
- Badass Bookworm: Marge
- Mama Bear: Marge
- Preacher Man: Ned Flanders and Reverend Lovejoy
- Police Are Useless: Once again, Chief Wiggum while having Lisa arrested while Snake gets off shooting people since they are only able to enforce the last three laws past. He does apologize to her during the case and admits that it's the worst legal system you can get.
- Nuclear Option: Homer being ape like when trying to open a beer bottle, of course
- Shout-Out: The episode is a reference to the Scopes Trial of 1925, where John Thomas Scopes was charged for teaching evolution at a state-funded school.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Flanders
- A Wizard Did It: Who ever snitch on Lisa?
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Does anyone know why Snake was shooting people or caught doing so?