Recap: The Simpsons S 17 E 18 The Wettest Stories Ever Told
When the Simpsons' plans for a nice family outing at the Frying Dutchman turn into a dining disaster, the family (and show writers) try to salvage the night by telling three tales of disasters at sea.
- Anachronism Stew: During the Mutiny on the Bounty story, a native asks the Bounty's crew if Robert Fulton already invented the steamboat and someone tells her it won't take long.
- Bad Boss: Capt. Bligh made a suggestion box out of the head of the subordinate who asked him to install a box (Martin Prince).
- Beyond the Impossible: In the third tale, Homer is able to sit on a toilet upside down. He justifies it by saying he has great ass suction.
- Diabolus ex Machina: At the end of the Poseidon story, just when the survivors are about to rescued, the blowtorch from the rescue worker sets Sideshow Mel on fire. He even lampshades the irony.
- Ghost Pirates: At the end of the episode, the crew from the second segment appear and turn out to have become a skeleton crew.
- Insult Backfire: When told that he eats dolphin boogers, Capt. Bligh shrugs and admits that it might happen when one eats dolphins as often as he does.
- New Year Has Come: The third story takes place during new year.
- Tempting Fate: Capt. Bligh thinks his crew will never revolt. When he and Willie are left in a life boat, he dares Willie to revolt and it results on Capt. Blight being left in a turtle, which he dares to sink.
- Too Dumb to Live: Upon taking over the Bounty, Bart throws away the helm.