Recap / The Simpsons S 15 E 6 Today I Am A Clown
Krusty discovers that he never had a bar mitzvah as a child. He quits his show to have it as an adult, with the help of his father, Rabbi Krustofski. Meanwhile, Homer hosts a late-night talk show as a replacement for Krusty's show.
- Artistic License – Religion: Krusty is told he is not a Jewish man because he never had a Bar Mitzvah. At the age of 13, a Jewish male is expected to have been educated enough to be personally responsible for following the commandments. A Bar Mitzvah is a celebration of this event, not a ceremony where they bestow manhood or Judaism on you, a la a baptism. In fact, Jews who never had a Bar Mitzvah is not even a rare occurrence; many less religious Jews forgo them. Also, many Jews throughout the 20th century went without them because of World War I and especially World War II.
- Even having a Bar Mitzvah as an adult is not a rare or unusual occurrence. Many Jews who couldn't have them during wartime had them years or even decades later. A man in Israel could not have his Bar Mitzvah because his family was fighting in WWI, so he had it as an adult...100 years later, at the age of 113.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: At Fox again.
- Continuity Nod: Dr. Hibbert reveals Santa's Little Helper had impregnated his dog, Rosa Barks. Afte he leaves, Lisa reminds everyone that Santa's Little Helper was supposedly neutered the last time he had puppies. As she says this, she was reading the first Simpsons episode guide, The Simpsons: A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family.
- Flashback: Homer explains what happened when he took Santa's Little Helper to get neutered, saying he took him for one last night out on the town, then couldn't bring himself to go through with the neutering, making Santa's Little Helper promise not to have sexual intercourse with any more dogs from then on.
- Imaginary Friend: Lisa knows a lot about Judaism since she used to have a Jewish imaginary friend named Rachel Cohen. Rachel shows up as a murderous spirit in the "Treehouse of Horror XXVII" story "BFF R.I.P.".
- I Will Show You X: Homer exclaims "I'll audience you!" as he stranges Bart, after Bart tells him he lost his stranglehold on the audience for not taking his advice to live fast, die young, and leave a big fat corpse.
- Money, Dear Boy: The reason Mr. T agreed to work on Krusty's televised Bar Mitzvah.
- This raises and (shakily) explains Fridge Logic as to why Mr T, who is Christian, is performing a Jewish ceremony.
- Never Recycle Your Schemes: Maggie locked herself inside the bathroom. Homer attempts to use a coat hanger to unlock the door, only to fail due to his incompetence. Bart then tries using Homer as a battering ram, until Lisa used the coat hanger again and got Maggie out.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: After Homer becomes a sucess by talking about things that appeal to the average man. Lisa gets him to use his newfound fame to talk about the 'important issues'. It's doing this that causes his fanbase to turn from Homer and his star plummets.
- Off-Model: At the end of the episode, Patty and Selma are given pointy noises as opposed to their usually round ones.
- Springtime for Hitler: Krusty selected Homer to replace his show during the Sabbath, believing that Homer would be the worst possible guest host with no chance of replacing him. "The Homer Simpson Show" turns out to be a smash hit, and "The Krusty the Clown Show" ends up being cancelled.
- This Explains So Much: When the Hibbert family sees Homer strangle Bart on TV, Dr. Hibbert comments, "So, that's why Bart has all those broken tracheal bones. Tight bow tie, my ass!"