Recap / The Simpsons S 15 E 15 Co Dependents Day
Homer and Marge's bond becomes stronger when they both get drunk on wine, but soon the bond unravels when Homer blames Marge for crashing the car and Marge gets sent to rehab. Meanwhile, Bart and Lisa complain to Randall Curtis (a George Lucas-esque science fiction movie director) about his latest film.
This episode contains examples of:
- Celebrity Paradox: This episode introduces the Cosmic Wars franchise, an obvious parody of Star Wars - trouble is, those films have already been referenced in-series (and will continue to do, as three episode later, Homer tries to check out a movie called "Chocolate Star Wars", only to learn it doesn't exist).
- Dramatic Irony: The Simpsons is a TV series which has been accused of declining in quality over the years. Star Wars is a series of films which has also been accused of declining in quality over the years. In this episode the Simpson kids call out a George Lucas expy for making the in-universe equivalent of Star Wars terrible, then ask him to go back to his roots.
- Hype Backlash: The In-Universe reaction to Cosmic Wars: The Gathering Shadow.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Moe regrets serving Homer and Marge a 1886 Chateau Latour when he looks up its value in a wine collector's guide (which he admits is "a step I perhaps should have taken initially").
Let me dry my tears with this lost Shakespeare
- Take That!: Jim-Jam Bonks is an obvious potshot at Jar-Jar Binks.