After Marge gets mugged by a hobo outside of the Kwik-E-Mart's bathroom, she turns into a recluse afraid to even leave her own basement. Eventually, she becomes bored, and starts turning to weight lifting (from some weights Homer bought at Rainier Wolfcastle's bankruptcy sale) to pass the time. After gaining the courage to go outside and beating up the hobo who mugged her, she becomes a bodybuilder, thanks to her old friend, Ruth Powers, who went to jail, got addicted to bodybuilding and steroids, and became Miss Mexican Mafia
This episode has examples of:
- Amazonian Beauty: Marge becomes one in the third act. However, with her steroid abuse later on, she becomes a...
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: After bulking up, Marge has sex with Homer (who is clearly scared and doesn't want to) violently enough that it hurts to walk the next morning. It's played for laughs, with Marge never apologizing or repenting, and getting away with it.
- She Who Fights Monsters: Marge's decision to bulk up is prompted by a thug robbing her, which leads to an epic Curb-Stomp Battle when she catches up with the thug. That said, she ends up becoming an aggressive bully.
- Hypocrite: Discussed when Marge initially refuses to take drugs due to her noting that it'd make a hypocrite out of her anti-drug bumper sticker-laden tail gate. She ends up taking the drugs anyway after succumbing to peer pressure from Ruth.
- "I Know You're In There Somewhere" Talk: Homer tries to talk down a raging Marge in Moe's Tavern after she was done beating up all the men in the bar. She has a Heel Realization and steps down.
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: Bart's reaction after seeing the "Iron Maidens."
Bart: Ay caramba. I'm off women forever.
- Second Place Is for Losers: Marge gets second place in the Iron Maiden competition which leads to this conversation.
Marge: From now on, I'm going to up my carbo load, use a denser ripping gel-
- Shout-Out: When Marge started taking steroids, the theme song for Popeye started being heard.
- Marge beating up the mugger is nearly a shot-for-shot recreation from the scene in The Godfather in which Sonny beats up his sister's abusive husband.
- During the Tetris sequence, music from the Game Boy version of the game plays.
- The Tetris Effect: Homer uses his experience in playing Tetris to fit everything he bought in Rainier Wolfcastle's bankruptcy sale and his family in the car. Unfortunately, he forgot to include himself in the equation.