- All Girls Want Bad Boys: And somehow, she chose Snake over Burns.
- Continuity Nod: Mr. Burns' past accomplishments: He ran his own casino, stole the Loch Ness Monster, got shot by a baby and blotted out the sun.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Snake abandoned a telemarketing scam because he doesn't like bothering people at home.
- Lets See YOU Do Better: Homer is challenged to do so after criticizing the fortunes his family reads at a Chinese restaurant. He succeeds.
- Off-Model: Because of his Obviously Evil design, the animators had difficulty showing Mr. Burns looking happy, which meant that they had to completely overhaul his design throughout the episode e.g. sometimes showing him without his eyebrows◊.
- Pistol Whip: Snake threatens to do this to Homer, but Homer assumes that it's eating whipped cream with a pistol.
- Seinfeldian Conversation: Appropriately enough the episode ends this way with Mr Burns and the Simpsons discussing what a Devil beard is.
- Shout-Out: Mr. Burns and Gloria eat spaghetti like Lady and the Tramp.