Recap / The Simpsons S 13 E 17 Gump Roast
Original air date
: April 21, 2002
In this, the last clip show of the series, Homer is honored at a Friars' Club Roast and Kang and Kodos crash the ceremony to find out if humanity is worth saving.
- Absolute Cleavage: Agnes, parodying Jennifer Lopez's outfit at the 2000 Grammy Awards.
- Bait and Switch: Kang and Kodos appear to be moved by Maggie's memories at first. However, they reveal that their "tears" were actually vomit.
- Cassandra Truth: During the roast, Mr. Burns takes the podium to declare that Homer is a danger to Springfield. The audience doesn't take this seriously, thinking his claims are just part of the act.
Mr. Burns: Why are you laughing? His bungling has shortened your lives and mutated your children!
(the audience continues to laugh)
- Clip Show: The last one in the show's run (though some later episodes, like "Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind" and "How The Test Was One" have mini-clip shows within episodes, showing past examples of character's personalities and incidents). The writers now do Three Shorts episodes if they run out of good ideas for a full episode.
Singer: (singing) Sorry for the clip show!
- Discredited Meme: In-Universe, the Springfield Police has been cracking down on people impersonating movie characters. Dr. Hibbert and Moe get arrested for dressing like and quoting Darth Vader and Austin Powers, respectively.
- Heh Heh, You Said "X": When Mr. Burns presents the times Homer has caused trouble at the plant:
Mr. Burns: Just look at all of his catastrophic nincompoopery!
Carl: (laughing) "Poop."
- Noodle Incident: Kang was involved with Shannen Doherty at one point, and he doesn't want to talk about it.
- The Other Darrin: The clip from "Lisa's First Word" in which Maggie says "Daddy", she is voiced by Nancy Cartwright (who usually does Maggie's sound effects like crying, laughing, and cooing) instead of Elizabeth Taylor.
- Stock Footage: The same sequence of Dr. Hibbert laughing, Nelson laughing, and Mr. Burns saying "Excellent", is reused a few times during the roast.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Moe complains that Kang and Kodos are stealing his skit, including the helmet that reads Homer's mind (showing a crudely made helmet).
- We Didn't Start the Billy Joel Parodies: The end song "They'll Never Stop The Simpsons". So far, they seem to be right.