Recap / The Simpsons S 13 E 17 Gump Roast
Original air date
: April 21, 2002
In this, the last clip show of the series, Homer is honored at a Friars' Club Roast and Kang and Kodos crash the ceremony to find out if humanity is worth saving.
- Absolute Cleavage: Agnes, parodying Jennifer Lopez's outfit at the 2000 Grammy Awards.
- Bait and Switch: Kang and Kodos appear to be moved by Maggie's memories at first. However, they reveal that their "tears" were actually vomit.
- Clip Show: The last one in the show's run (though some later episodes, like "Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind" and "How The Test Was One" have mini-clip shows within episodes, showing past examples of character's personalities and incidents). The writers now do Three Shorts episodes if they run out of good ideas for a full episode.
- Discredited Meme: In-Universe, the Springfield Police has been cracking down on people impersonating movie characters. Dr. Hibbert and Moe get arrested for dressing like and quoting Darth Vader and Austin Powers, respectively.
- Noodle Incident: Kang was involved with Shannen Doherty at one point, and he doesn't want to talk about it.
- Stock Footage: The same sequence of Dr. Hibbert laughing, Nelson laughing, and Mr. Burns saying "Excellent", is reused a few times during the roast.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Moe complains that Kang and Kodos are stealing his skit, including the helmet that reads Homer's mind (showing a crudely made helmet).
- We Didn't Start the Billy Joel Parodies: The end song "They'll Never Stop The Simpsons". So far, they seem to be right.