Lisa's crush on an environmentalist (voiced by Joshua Jackson, who was on Dawson's Creek at the time) leads her to camp out on Springfield's tallest tree in protest over plans to have it felled. Meanwhile, Bart gets a job as a menu delivery boy for a Thai restaurant so he can raise money for a new video game system.
"Lisa the Tree Hugger" contains examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch: When Bart asks for money to buy the new vídeo game system, Marge says she'll help him... by singing a song about being thrifty.
- Call-Back: The Thai restaurant that Bart works at is named "You Thai Now", after Yo Yo Ma's exclamation of "You die now!" from "Missionary: Impossible".
- Halfway Plot Switch: The plot of Bart getting a job to earn money for a new video game console takes a backseat once the Simpsons discover Dirt First on the roof of Krusty Burger. It gets two more acknowledgements (the Thai restaurateur bidding for logging rights on the redwood, and Bart's care package), but that's it.
- Last Request: When Lisa was mistaken for dead, Homer took advantage of this to make Moe believe it was her dying wish that he poured his egg jar's contents down his pants and ripped Homer's tab.
- Off-Model: Check out some of the characters in the background of the shot when the Rich Texan addresses the crowd. Particularly Lenny (with his extra long lips) and Apu and Largo (who have huge pupils).
- Trees into Toothpicks: The logging rights for the Oldest Redwood in Springfield are sold for $100,000 to make a drive-through humidor. One of the other bidders is a restaurateur who wants to turn it into Thai takeout menus.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Bart's storyline about raising money for a new video game system seemed to disappear after Bart is trained Matrix-style in leaving menus behind.