Recap: The Simpsons S 12 E 17 Simpson Safari
After Homer's jerk ways at the supermarket causes a bag boy strike, the Simpsons are left without food — until they find a 1960s-era box of animal crackers advertising a contest where the winners get to go to Africa.
Tropes appearing in the episode:
- Artistic License – Biology: Rhinos lay eggs, hippos are afraid of water, giant spiders exist and giraffes live underground. Lisa is neither impressed nor amused.
- Eat the Camera: Homer, at the end of the second act.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Or chimpanzees in this case.
- Evil Poacher: Subverted. The poachers turned out to be Greenpeace members.
- Language Barrier: When the Simpsons are lost in the jungle, sailing down a river, they encounter two ominous sounding tribesmen, so Homer tries to hit them with a spear. However, they were actually saying very nice things, at least according to the subtitles.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: "Don't worry. Getting eaten by a crocodile is like going to sleep... in a giant blender."
- Reality Ensues: While lost in the jungle, the family falls into a large flower that closes its petals around them which causes Marge to exclaim that it's trying to eat them. Homer casually tears one of the petals open and walks out.Bart: Wow dad, how did you do that?Homer: (deadpan) It's a flower.
- Red Herring: The episode starts with bag boy's strike. It is referenced by Homer twice during the trip just to really drive home its Herring status.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Lisa wouldn't take any diamonds Joan Bushwell tried to bribe the Simpsons with.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Or diamonds in that case as Homer, Marge, Bart and even Maggie can confirm.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: As the African tribal chief N'Gungo senses the Simpsons are coming.Tribesman: What is it, N'gungo?N'Gungo: Evil is coming...Tribesman: What shall we do, N'Gungo?N'Gungo: (takes mask off and puts it on the Tribesman) You are N'Gungo now! (runs away screaming)
- Vacation Episode: The Simpsons travel to Africa.
- Whale Egg: The rhino has just hatched out of the egg!
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The bag boy crisis is never resolved.