Recap / The Simpsons S 12 E 16 Bye Bye Nerdie
When Otto picks up a new girl named Francine, Lisa tries to befriend her, only to end up getting bullied by her. Meanwhile, Homer becomes a babyproofer and causes mass unemployment in all child-related health businesses.(YMMV
Tropes of this episode:
- Adults Are Useless: As far as the school is although Willie tries to help, he could’ve at least stayed with Lisa and not worry about the paper towels.
- The Bully: Francine and Homer when he was a teenager.
- Bullying The Dragon: When Lisa swabs Dredrick Tatum with the chemical that makes Bullies pick on Nerds, Nelson starts uncontrollably picking on him, much to his absolute horror as he begs the former boxing champion not to hurt him while giving him a wedgie.
- Clothing Switch: Marge accidentally dresses Bart and Lisa in each other's clothes during the morning rush in the beginning of the episode. This lasted for one shot before they're inexplicably back in their usual clothes.
- Comically Missing the Point: Homer listens to a speech Lisa makes about bullying being chemical, a speech that was so simplified a dumbass like him would be able to understand it. His response?
- Dumbass Has a Point: Homer actually does make a good point about baby safety.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: The last shot of the episode is Francine sniffing about in her rampage before apparently catching the audiance's nerd scent and lunging at the camera.
- Hate Plague: The entire reason why bullies exist at in the first place is because of this. Certain individuals (Nerds) produce a chemical in their sweat that causes those who can detect it (Bullies) to act aggressively towards them.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Homer is greatly remorseful that his babyproofing has put so many people out of work and goes running down the street shouting for babies to hurt themselves again.
- Series Continuity Error: This episode established that Homer and Smithers went to school together, but "The Blunder Years" next season reveals that Smithers was a baby around the time Homer was in his teens.
- Too Dumb to Live: Homer giving Maggie a nail gun while trying to keep her safe.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: When Lisa tells Nelson and company about Francine, they refuse to do it because girls fight dirtier and they may fall in love with her.