Bart becomes a faith healer after removing a glued-on bucket from Homer's head at a church revival. Meanwhile, Homer builds a homecoming float from his alma mater (the college he briefly went to in "Homer Goes to College.")
- Call Back: Homer returns to the same university he went to in "Homer Goes to College".
- Comic-Book Time: Parodied. As Homer sets up a prank on Dean Peterson, the security guards recognize Homer for running him over five years ago. They bring up a photogram of him from that time, about to eat a fish. They then age the picture five years. All that's different is that Homer's clothes had rotted, he had grown a beard, and the fish turned into a skeleton.
- It Burns!: Homer shouts it after having the bucket removed.Homer: I see the light! It burns!
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Lisa tries to explain to Bart that the real reason the glued-on bucket got off Homer's head was that the hot stage lights heated the bucket, which liquefied the glue, while also expanding the bucket and allowing Bart to pull it off.
- Series Continuity Error: Lisa says Homer only attended Springfield University for one term. However, the episode "Homer Goes to College" ends with Homer agreeing to return to Springfield University to set a good example since he cheated to pass the first time.
- Shout-Out: The Springfield University halftime song parodies "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing.
- You Don't Look Like You: Dean Peterson looks nothing like he did back in "Homer Goes to College".