Recap: The Simpsons S 10 E 9 Mayored To The Mob
After Homer saves Mark Hamill and Mayor Quimby from a nerd riot at the Bi-Mon-Sci-Fi-Con, Mayor Quimby fires his usual bodyguards (who didn't save him because they were outside cloud-gazing) and makes Homer his new protector, but when Homer finds out that Mayor Quimby has mob ties and uncovers a plan to sell rat's milk to the public schools, Homer begins fearing for his life — and the Mayor's.
This episode contains examples of:
- Acting for Two: Mark Hamill plays himself and bodyguard instructor Leavelle.
- Adam Westing: Mark Hamill.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: A chocolate-flavored dessert distracts Homer while Legs is telling him about his nickname's origin.
- Big "NO!": Discussed at bodyguard school.Leavelle: Okay, listen up. My goal is to assassinate that watermelon. Your job is to take the bullet. Go! (Homer runs) Go, go, go! (imitating gun) Pow!Homer: (monotonously) Nooo...Leavelle: Well, your dive wasn't bad, but I just didn't believe your "Noooooo!!". You gotta sell it! Remember, your "Noooooo!!" is what gets you your next job. Now drop and give me twenty!Homer: NOOOOOOOO!!Leavelle: Better!
- Comically Missing the Point: When Homer reveals that Fat Tony is selling rat milk to Springfield Elementary.Mayor Quimby: Rat?! You promised me dog or higher!
- Corrupt Politician: When Quimby claims the mayor's office is not for sale, everyone just starts laughing at him.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Leavelle.
- Fat, Sweaty Southerner in a White Suit: Leavelle.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: At the bodyguard school graduation, Leavelle sings them off with the theme from The Bodyguard ("I Will Always Love You").
- Improvised Weapon: As Homer fights Fat Tony's gangsters.Mark Hamill: (strained) Homer, use the for...Homer: The Force?Mark: The forks! Use the forks!
- New Job Episode
- Noodle Incident: How Legs got his nickname. It apparently had something to do with Joseph Kennedy.
- Oh Crap!:
- "CRAP ON A CRUTCH! THEY'RE MILKING RATS! RATS!"note
- "His corpse is climbing the building!"
- Production Foreshadowing: At Bi-Mon-Sci-Fi-Con, Uter is shown wearing a Futurama t-shirt three months before Futurama actually premiered.
- Pushed in Front of the Audience: Happens to Louie during Guys And Dolls. He is backstage preparing to throw his knife at Quimby when the manager appears and pushes him onstage. He gets out of it by tap-dancing with the knife between his teeth.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Bodyguard instructor Leavelle told his students they're not suited to be bodyguards but they pass because their checks have been cashed in.
- Truth in Television: Hamill says of the lightsabers, "Y'know, George Lucas makes me pay for these." On the DVD Commentary, he claims there's some truth to that.