After starring in an instructional video for the nuclear plant, Homer discovers while filling out his Screen Actors' Guild form that he doesn't know what the "J" in his middle name means, so Homer goes to a hippie commune (headed by two hippies turned businessmen named Seth and Munchie) and finds his answer on a mural his mom painted — and discovers that he should be as free and wild as the hippies of the 1960s were.
- Alan Smithee: The pseudonym Burns uses for his director credit on the terrible instructional video Homer, Lenny and Carl act in.
- Anachronism Stew: Homer attempts to be helpful in the "hippie freak out"... by playing Uptown Girl, a song made in 1983. Then again, it is Played for Laughs.
- Bad "Bad Acting": Homer, Lenny and Carl stink of this in the commercial. Bonus points for Homer, as he attempted to finish it.Homer: For all those reasons and more, let us choose an electrifying career in... (Beat) Line?Burns: Nuclear power.Homer: (unwittingly imitating Burns) Nuclear power.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Seth and Munchie announced that their inability to supply the ordered amount of juice was caused by an "oaf", Homer is glad that they decided to blame it on "an oaf" but that he still feels guilty.
- I'm a Doctor, Not a Placeholder: Parodied.Marge: Doctor, will he be all right?Dr. Hibbert: Yes, he was lucky. If that had been a gladiola, he'd be dead right now.Bart: Why don't you just pull it out?Hibbert: (laughing) I'm a doctor, not a gardener!Homer: Can't you just prune some of the leaves so I can watch TV?Hibbert: (dead serious) What did I just say?
- Jerkass Has a Point: Abe might have been harsh on his son in the flashback, but he was right about how trends change and whats 'it' to one generation won't be 'it' for the next.
- Mushroom Samba: A good chunk of the town gets unintentionally stoned, and Willy, Ned Flanders, and Barney fall victim to this (although Barney starts up another Mushroom Samba to stop the first using beer to summon a friendlier pink elephant hallucination. ).
- Mysterious Middle Initial: Until this episode, the viewers didn't know what the "J" in Homer J. Simpson was for. It was a mystery even for Homer. Actually, his father didn't know either."How should I know? It was your mother's job to name you and love you and such. I was mainly in it for the spanking."
- The Reveal: Homer J. Simpson's middle name is Jay.
- Running Gag: Homer using "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel as his hippie anthem.
- Shout-Out: While stoned, Grandpa Simpson and Jasper laugh like Beavis And Butthead.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Invoked in-universe with Homer's mix tape, as he plays "Uptown Girl" during the freak-out.
- Special Guest: Martin Mull and George Carlin as Seth and Munchie.
- Summon Bigger Fish: Barney beats his juice hallucination by drinking beer to call on a pink elephant to kill it.
- The Unreveal: The J in "Homer J. Simpson" stands for Jay.
- Uptown girl...She's my uptown girl...I know that I'm in love...With an uptown girl...