In 1998's tales of terror, Homer gets a hair transplant from a dead criminal (Snake Jailbird), Bart and Lisa go on TV (thanks to a radioactive remote control), and The Simpsons are the latest guests on The Jerry Springer Show after Marge confesses that Maggie was the product of an abduction-cum-one night stand with Kang the alien.This was the first Simpsons episode to use the current production code "_ABF##"
This episode contains examples of: (YMMV Examples here)
- Angry Fist-Shake: Snake's hair after being shot several times.
- Animated Actors: Hinted to be the case with Itchy and Scratchy during "The Terror of Tiny Toon".
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: The three strikes Snake was executed for were: setting fire at an orphanage; blowing up a busful of nuns (which Snake declares was in self-defense); and smoking at a Kwik-E-Mart.
- Artistic License – Biology: Electrocution will, in reality, ruin one's organs, making them unsuitable for transplantation. An execution by hanging, guillotine, or lethal injection would spare the organs.
- Beat Still, My Heart: Snake pulls Moe's heart out with a corkscrew and presents it to him before he collapses and dies.
- Big "NO!": Apu's last words before Snake kills him.
- Bond One-Liner: After shooting Snake's hair:
- Captain Obvious:Lisa: Of course, the transplant! Somehow Snake's hair must be controlling—
Marge: Oh, please, Lis, everyone's already figured that out.
- Chairman of the Brawl: As with the Jerry Springer show, Kang wields chairs during his brawl with Homer.
- Cluster Bleep Bomb: The unsurprising result of the family's appearance on Jerry Springer.Marge: I am so (bleep)ing embarressed...
- Cue Card Pause:Krusty: Tonight I'm going to suck![next card]Krusty: ... your blood!
- Darker and Edgier: The episode uses a more macabre version of the show's opening sequence. We have Bart writing down the chalkboard punishment in blood, later him botching his jump off Homer's sunroof and snapping his neck. Lisa then follows suit by cycling into Bart's corpse and ricocheting headfirst into the garage wall, as Homer gets run over by Marge as she drives by. The couch gag then sees Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees sitting on the couch, apparently waiting for the family to arrive.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Because one audience member called out Kang for being a deadbeat father, he kills the entire Jerry Springer audience.
- Evil Laughter: Maggie, of all characters.
- Eye Pop: In "The Terror of Tiny Toon" where Bart and Lisa are caught inside Itchy & Scratchy's show.
- Face Hugger: Maggie does this to the show host.
- Fighting from the Inside: Homer at the climax of "Hell Toupée":Bart: You've got to fight the hair, dad.
Homer: But I look so youthful and hunky.
Snake: (speaking through Homer) The kid's gotta die.
Homer: But I love my son.
Snake: More than a lush head of hair?
Homer: Don't make me choose!
(Snake does an Evil Laugh.)
Homer: NO! (Proceeds to literally Drop the Hammer from his hands and tear Snake's hair off his head.)
- For Halloween, I Am Going as Myself: Marge asks Homer if he dressed up as a hobo again for Halloween but he actually had no intention to do so and was just unkempt as usual.
- Gory Discretion Shot: During Apu's murder.
- Kill It with Fire: Dr. Hibbert's solution to Maggie growing tentacles.Homer: Is there anything you can prescribe, doctor?
Dr. Hibbert: Fire! And lots of it!
Marge: That's your cure for everything!
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Marge does this when she refuses to let Bart and Lisa watch the Itchy & Scratchy Halloween special: "Sorry, but if I let you watch some of these gruesome Halloween cartoons, I'd be a pretty lousy mother!"
- Look Behind You: How Kang tricks Marge to look away and then impregnate her with his gun.
- Major Injury Underreaction: After Itchy and Scratchy attack Bart with piranhas that eat his flesh and leave him a skeleton from the neck down, Bart just complains it was going to leave a mark.
- Medium Blending: In "The Terror of Tiny Toon", Bart, Lisa, Itchy and Scratchy fall into the live action "Live With Regis & Kathie Lee" (as it was then titled) show. Regis Philbin and Kathie Lee Gifford both appear as themselves.
- It took so long to get the live-action part right, they couldn't broadcast the news from the same studio (Live began as a local morning show on New York's ABC station, and it's been taped there, so they had to share studio space with Eyewitness News, which moved to a street-side studio in 2010).
- Non-Standard Prescription: When Maggie starts growing tentacles they take her to see Dr. Hibbert.Homer: Is there anything you can prescribe, doctor?
Dr. Hibbert: Fire! And lots of it!
Marge: Oh, that's your cure for everything.
- Noodle Incident: One of Snake's previous strikes was setting fire to a bus full of nuns. "That was totally in self-defense."
- Oh Crap!: Apu hearing Snake's voice from Homer.Apu: Snake? But you're dead!Homer/Snake: I know you are, but what am I?(shoves Apu into the Squishee machine)
- Piranha Problem: Itchy shoots a swarm of piranha from a hose reducing everything below Bart's head to the bones, they later fix this by playing it backwards.
- Pun-Based Title: "Candle in the Wound" and "Starship Poopers".
- Roger Rabbit Effect: In "The Terror of Tiny Toon", when Bart and Lisa end up in "Live With Regis & Kathie Lee".
- Rule of Three: Snake was executed because of the three strikes law. Also, as usual, the Treehouse of Horror had three stories.
- Speed Sex: In "Starship Poopers", after Kang shoots his insemination beam at Marge:Kang: Insemination complete.
Marge: Really? That seemed awfully quick.
Kang: What are you implying?
Marge: Nothing, nothing.
- The Stinger: Regis Philbin exclaiming, "My eyes, my beautiful eyes!" during the Gracie Films card.
- Threat Backfire: Kang and Kudos threatened to kill all of Washington's politicians if the Simpsons' didn't give them Maggie. They dared them to try it, saying they couldn't possibly kill all of them...
- Trapped in TV Land: Bart and Lisa end up in the television thanks to a nuclear powered remote control.
- Vertigo Effect: When the Snake-possessed Homer says "I know you are, but what am I?" before murdering Apu.
- Visual Pun: During Snake's execution within the "Hell Toupee" segment".Chief Wiggum: So long, Snake. You'll never harm anyone with your secondhand smoke ever again.(Throws switch, Snake dies in rather violent fit)(Pitch-black smoke billows in droves from Snake's smoldering body, entering lungs of Ed McMahon, the two showgirls, and Chief Wiggum. causing them to cough violently.)
- Worst News Judgement Ever: When Kent Brockman reports on Apu's murder.Kent: And the fluffy kitten played with that ball of string all through the night. On a lighter note, a Kwik-E-Mart clerk was brutally murdered last night.
- You Bastard: Itchy and Scratchy are distressed by Bart and Lisa amusement at their antics, and team up to kill them.
- Your Mom: In "Starship Poopers", Kang delivers one of these to Homer while on The Jerry Springer Show.Kang: Well (bleep) you hyperbolic parabaloid (bleep) yo mama!