In this year's tales of terror, Homer gets a hair transplant from a dead criminal (Snake Jailbird), Bart and Lisa go on TV (thanks to a radioactive remote control), and The Simpsons are the latest guests on The Jerry Springer Show
after Marge confesses that Maggie was the product of an abduction-cum-one night stand with Kang the alien.
This episode contains examples of: (YMMV Examples here)
- Animated Actors: Hinted to be the case with Itchy and Scratchy during "The Terror of Tiny Toon"
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: The three strikes Snake was executed for were: setting fire at an orphanage; blowing up a busful of nuns (which Snake declares was in self-defense); and smoking at a Kwik-E-Mart.
- Captain Obvious:
Lisa: Of course, somehow Snake's hair is controlloing dad and making him-
- Darker and Edgier: The episode uses a more macabre version of the show's opening sequence. We have Bart writing down the chalkboard punishment in blood, later him botching his jump off Homer's sunroof and snapping his neck. Lisa then follows suit by cycling into Bart's corpse and ricocheting headfirst into the garage wall, as Homer gets run over by Marge as she drives by. The couch gag then sees Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees sitting on the couch, apparently waiting for the family to arrive.
- Eye Pop: In "The Terror of Tiny Toon" where Bart and Lisa are caught inside Itchy & Scratchy's show.
- Medium Blending: In "The Terror of Tiny Toon", Bart, Lisa, Itchy and Scratchy fall into the live action "Live With Regis & Kathie Lee" (as it was then titled) show. Regis Philbin and Kathie Lee Gifford both appear as themselves.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: In "The Terror of Tiny Toon", when Bart and Lisa end up in "Live With Regis & Kathie Lee".
- Rule of Three: Snake was executed because of the three strikes law. Also, as usual, the treehouse of horror had three stories.
- What Could Have Been: In "The Terror of Tiny Toon", Bart and Lisa were originally going to end up on Ally McBeal, but that ended up being dropped when Calista Flockhart backed out at the last minute (which explains the live action portion with Regis Philbin and Kathie Lee Gifford).
- (combined with Too Soon): Originally, Troy McClure was supposed to host Snake's execution on FOX, but the writers found that to be in bad taste due to Phil Hartman's recent murder, so they reanimated the scene and hired Ed McMahon as the new host.
- You Bastard: Itchy and Scratchy are distressed by Bart and Lisa amusement at their antics, and team up to kill them.
- Your Mom: In "Starship Poopers", Kang delivers one of these to Homer while on The Jerry Springer Show.
Kang: Well (bleep) you hyperbolic parabaloid (bleep) yo mama!