Recap: The Simpsons S 10 E 2 The Wizard Of Evergreen Terrace
Episode - 5F21
First Aired - 9/20/1998
Homer becomes an inventor after realizing his life is almost half over and he hasn't done anything that will be considered a legacy.
- Broken Pedestal: When Homer notices that his single ingenious invention was already invented by Edison, he decides to destroy it at the Edison museum and take credit for its invention.
Bart: But I thought you loved Edison.
Homer: Aw, to hell with him.
- Bungling Inventor: Homer's first inventions are generally terrible, unless that is anyone out there feels the need for an everything's-OK-alarm, a make-up shotgun, or an armchair toilet.
- Foreshadowing: Homer falling over in his chair while the kids were visiting him in his invention workshop.
- Home Made Inventions
- It's Been Done: After several disasters, the one invention that works turns out to have been invented by Edison himself but apparently unnoticed, prompting Homer and Bart to travel to Edison's workshop to destroy it. Homer decides not to once he sees that Edison himself also had a "rivalry" similar to his with Leonardo da Vinci. Homer decides to split the difference and take both his and Edison's frustrations out on the Eli Whitney museum.
- Lonely Funeral: Homer imagines himself dying with no accomplishments to his name. The only attendees in his funeral are President Lenny and Oscar winner Barney Gumble, as well as the robot from Lost in Space and Heckle and Jeckle. Homer's corpse gets dumped into his grave by a dump truck, and several dogs start to chew on his exposed feet.
Homer: Marge, no matter what happens in the future, promise me you won't vote for Lenny.
- Noodle Incident: Homer getting kicked out the adults' library and quitting his job.
- People Fall Off Chairs
- Royalties Heir: One of Homer's inventions (an electric hammer) is making millions. Unfortunately, for his family, the invention was credited to Thomas Edison, the royalties went to his "already wealthy" heirs.
- Tim Taylor Technology: When Homer first showed off his electric hammer, it goes haywire and starts dragging him across the floor. He turns it off and concludes, "Probably needs to be more powerful."