Recap: The Nostalgia Critic S 6 E 11
Film: Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (1997)
Friends? Ha ha ha!
This review contains examples of:
- Big Damn Heroes: When the Critic realizes he cannot defeat Rita as someone who hated the show, he decides to call someone who loves Power Rangers. He then summons Linkara, in full Green Ranger dress, who proceeds to nitpick everything about Power Rangers until Rita is defeated. Then he continues to nitpick until the Critic beams him away.Linkara: So why do they give up their Zeo Powers? There's nothing wrong with them, they just switched out from Zeo to Turbo! So everytime that Rita throws her staff down, does she just, like, magic it back up everytime or is there like a big, long fishing line and she just pulls it back up really really hard? What the hell is up with that? How is Rita an Empress of Evil if it turns out Lord Zedd is actually higher up in the food chain? And how is he an Emperor of Evil if there's actually a guy who's higher up even than him? [after the day has been saved] How the hell bad is the economy of Angel Grove considering they have an abandoned warehouse district that always seems to be destroyed? It must be a huge freaking area— [the Critic beams him away]
- The Cameo: Linkara appears dressed as the Green Ranger to defeat the Moviebomb with logic.
- Child Soldiers: The Critic asks Zordon if there are no professional soldiers who want to be Power Rangers; it always has to be teenagers and kids.
- Combat Pragmatist: Screw honor. The Critic would be happy to quickly dispatch the human-sized Moviebomb by having the Megazord squish it.
- Death Glare: Zordon gives an epic one to the Critic after he uses the Megazord to defeat the Moviebomb when it is normal sized.Zordon: That was NOT the honorable way!
Critic: But it was the effective way. Can't argue with results.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: In the opening, one of the freeze frame images is Lamb Chop.
- Hong Kong Dub: All of Rita's lines, naturally. Rachel just plays her physically and Doug badly dubs the dialogue, and it's a terrible dubbing on purpose.
- Honor Before Reason: Zordon insists that the Critic fight the Moviebomb rather than simply crush him with the giant robot.
- Merchandise-Driven/Product Placement: The Turbo Zords are lovingly displayed and described.BUY US! Tell your parents you don't love them unless you get one! Kimberly and Jason will DIE if you don't collect them all! Steal from church if you must, just BUY ONE!
- No Waterproofing in the Future: Kat's Transformation Sequence is interrupted when she falls into water.
- So Bad, It's Good/Narm Charm: Invoked, as this is the Critic's explanation for the franchise's longevity.Critic: If something this kooky has been around for twenty years, then it must be doing something right. Enjoy your incredibly silly show. It's ridiculous nonsense, but it's your ridiculous nonsense.
- Special Edition Title: The normal NC opening is omitted in place of a parody of the Power Rangers opening, which the Critic stops mid-song to ask what is going on.
- Squick: The Critic's reaction to...Rita: Do you really want to think about the image of me and Lord Zedd doing it?
- Also, Critic's reaction to the way Divatox ties her prisoners:
- "Super Sentai" Stance: The Critic quickly embraces this when he puts his helmet on.
- Take That:
- The Moviebomb destroys all possibilities for a rising franchise. Its latest victim was After Earth.
- Transformation Is a Free Action: The Critic points out that the Megazord takes an awfully long time to form up, time which the monster could have used to attack it.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: The Critic questions why he can't use the giant robot immediately against a villain....Then does anyway.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: The Nostalgia Critic using the giant robot to just stomp the monster when it's human sized could be seen as this, since it just revives as a giant later anyway, now too powerful for him to actually beat.
- X Meets Y: The Critic says he thought Power Rangers was an attempt to combine Saved by the Bell with Godzilla.
Friends? Ha ha ha!