Recap / The New Batman Adventures E20 "Girls' Night Out"
With Livewire having teamed up with Harley and Ivy into committing crimes in Gotham, it's gonna be difficult for Batgirl to stop them. Luckily, she has help and that is Supergirl.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: After the Iceberg Lounge is wrecked:
Penguin: "You heard me! I need chainsaws, hedge clippers, a dump truck, and a bottle of aspirin down here pronto!"
- Batman Gambit: Ivy got Supergirl with her vine seeds. When she throws another set at Batgirl, Supergirl blasts them with heat vision.
Poison Ivy: Thank you for being so predictable, Supergirl. You just released the most virulent, allergenic pollen in the flora kingdom. The reaction is quite deadly, as your playmate is finding out.
- Butt-Monkey: Poor Harley gets it the worst in this episode since it mostly deals with super-powered villains and she lacks the fighting prowess of Batgirl. With few exceptions, her actions are useless (hitting things with a big squeaky mallet) or worse (washing the insulating dust off Livewire with a seltzer bottle and shorting out her electrical powers), leading to eyerolling and mockery from the other villains.
- Crossover: With Superman: The Animated Series.
- A Day in the Limelight
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Both Batgirl and Supergirl are treated like second-class trainees of the veteran heroes, but they get a small compliment by Bullock - of all people - at the end.
- The Dog Bites Back: The villains trashed the Iceberg Lounge, so Penguin has no problem telling Batgirl and Supergirl where their hideout is.
- Epic Fail: Harley tries to attack Supergirl with a Red Boxing Glove on a spring, only to knock herself out with said boxing glove.
- Girls' Night Out Episode
- Hoist by His Own Petard: See Epic Fail.
- I Can't Believe I'm Saying This: Bullock sees that Batgirl and Supergirl are going to save the day, and he's not impressed.
Bullock: I never thought I'd say this, but where's the bat?
- Idiot Ball: Harley Quinn has decided that every solution involves a large squeaky mallet.
- I'm Melting!: Ivy's hedge elephants, tiger, rhinoceroses and giraffes are destroyed this way when Batgirl deflects Livewire's electricity onto the hedge animals to save Supergirl and defeat Poison Ivy.
- Insult Backfire/Blunt "Yes": After Harley gets the bright idea to "help" Livewire by dousing her with water:
Livewire: Are you out of your mind?!
Harley Quinn: ...Yeah!
- Lighter and Softer: The episode is far more "cartoony" than most in the DCAU.
- Lovely Angels: One-episode version.
- Lower-Deck Episode: The stars take the episode off. Bruce Wayne is on a business trip in Europe. Crime in Metropolis is so low that Supergirl gets bored and heads out to help Gotham.
- Nerves of Steel: The Penguin is still able to keep his Deadpan Snarker attitude even after the three villains have wrecked the Iceberg Lounge, ruining his suit and giving him a bad headache, as proven by how he greets Batgirl and Supergirl:
Penguin: We're closed! And besides, you two aren't even old enough to come in here.
- Only Six Faces: The episode's final scene displays the limited character designs in Timm Style animation. While out of costume and covering their hair in towels for a makeover, Supergirl and Batgirl look nearly identical.
- ...Or So I Heard: The Penguin tells Batgirl and Supergirl where the villains are hiding out while maintaining the rather flimsy veneer of a respectable businessman who has no connection to such things.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Batgirl and Supergirl really got into this one.
- Taught by Experience: Ivy has learned by now that she and Harley can't pull anything in Gotham unless they have a definite edge over Batman and his team.
- Tempting Fate: Batgirl and Supergirl are certain they can take Livewire since it's "two against one." The very next scene is Livewire finding Ivy and Harley.
- Too Dumb to Live: Harley has several of these moments, but trying to dousing Livewire with water is certainly up there.