Vampires of all kinds, explosives and the odd Knight of the Cross
. The book of ChekhovsGuns
and Chekhovs Gunmen
.Harry sets out to determine what is stirring up all the ghosts in the city, and a few burning buildings
, ghost rampages
, and femme fatals
later, ends up starting a war
- Big Bad: Bianca, vengeful vampire
- Cannot Spit It Out: Harry's problem with this regarding Susan is noted throughout the book.
- Foreshadowing: Oh, so much! Most of the people, organizations, and events encountered in this novel come up in BIG ways in later books. Special notice goes to the guest list and events at Bianca's masquerade party, the Vampire/Wizard war that kicks off in this book, and the allies Dresden gains over the course of the novel.
- Lesser of Two Evils ally: Thomas Raith, White court vampire
- Monster of the Week: The Nightmare, a jumped-up ghost of a sorcerer, a bunch of Red Court vampires, and Lea, Harry's incredibly creepy fairy godmother
- Sidekicks: Michael Carpenter, Knight of the Cross