In this corner, one missing Shroud, one impossibly and thoroughly dead corpse, one dedicated and deadly vampire warlord, three holy knights, twenty-nine fallen angels, and a partridge in a pear tree. And in the opposite corner, one tired, bruised, underpaid professional wizard, threatened by his allies and about to get dumped by his would-be girlfriend for John Q. Humdrum. Oh, yeah. Definitely bedtime.
- Sidekicks: Lt. Karrin Murphy, Susan Rodriguez, three Knights of the Cross
- Big Bad: Nicodemus, leader of the Denarians. Also, Paolo Ortega.
- Faux Affably Evil: Paolo Ortega pretends to be a gentleman, but under that he's a bloodthirsty monster.
- The Generic Guy: Martin looks the part, and it even helps him out in battle.
- Monster of the Week: the Denarians, who can turn into a wide variety of bizarre monsters, from evil eight-legged bears with horns to women with steel blades in place of hair.
- Lesser of Two Evils: John Marcone. He's not the best person in the world, but at least he isn't allied with literal fallen angels.