In this corner, one missing Shroud, one impossibly and thoroughly dead corpse, one dedicated and deadly vampire warlord, three holy knights, twenty-nine fallen angels, and a partridge in a pear tree. And in the opposite corner, one tired, bruised, underpaid professional wizard, threatened by his allies and about to get dumped by his would-be girlfriend for John Q. Humdrum. Oh, yeah. Definitely bedtime.Harry has to juggle trying to find the Shroud of Turin, deal with Fallen Angels and a vampire noble wanting to duel with him, and Susan being back in town.
- Big Bad: Nicodemus, leader of the Denarians. Also, Paolo Ortega.
- Faux Affably Evil: Paolo Ortega pretends to be a gentleman, but under that he's a bloodthirsty monster. Nicodemus varies between this and Affably Evil.
- The Generic Guy: Martin looks the part, and it even helps him out in battle.
- Go Out with a Smile: Shiro does this after being tortured.
- Lesser of Two Evils: John Marcone. He's not the best person in the world, but at least he isn't allied with literal fallen angels.
- Monster of the Week: The Denarians, who can turn into a wide variety of bizarre monsters, from evil eight-legged bears with horns to women with steel blades in place of hair.
- Moral Event Horizon: Harry considers letting Ortega feed on him to end the war...then asks him if he feeds on children. Ortega admits he does, not even understanding the point, and Harry shoots him down flat.
- Sidekicks: Lt. Karrin Murphy, Susan Rodriguez, three Knights of the Cross
- Tranquil Fury: "Hoss. Turn on the TV."