Recap / The Adventures Of Superman S 2 E 16 The Clown Who Cried
A circus clown, Rollo, gets a visit from his old partner Crackers, who's looking to borrow money. Rollo doesn't have much, but while they're talking Clark and Lois arrive to ask Rollo to perform for a telethon the Daily Planet is conducting for children's charity, giving Crackers an idea. After they leave he clouts Rollo on the head and disguises himself as Rollo.
Jimmy comes to Rollo's tent looking for Clark, and becomes suspicious when he sees the legs of the unconscious Rollo. Crackers distracts him by taking him to visit the strongman Hercules, and they tie up Jimmy in Hercules' prop chains. Superman sees through the tent and rescues Jimmy, but Crackers still manages to convince them he's actually Rollo, and goes on the telethon with a plan to steal the money.
This episode contains examples of:
- Card-Carrying Villain: Hercules is just fine with helping Crackers, since, as he says, "I have no conscience."
- Climbing Climax: Rollo and Crackers fight at the end, working their way up to the roof of a building.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight/Disney Villain Death: Crackers tumbles off a roof after pushing Rollo, then dies in his arms telling Rollo he's the better clown.
- Eek, a Mouse!!: Parodied — it's strongman Hercules who jumps on a chair in terror when he sees a mouse.
- Establishing Character Moment: The different personalities of Rollo and Cracker are established in the first scene, when Rollo greets his old partner warmly and says he can't remember what they argued about that caused them to break up. Crackers replies flatly, "The same reason I'm here now: money."
- Ethnic Magician: A stereotypical Chinese magic act is featured in the telethon, though when he talks, the magician doesn't even pretend to put on an accent.
- Friend to All Children: Rollo passionately cares about helping children, and doesn't understand Crackers' betrayal of the telethon's cause.
- Spot the Imposter: Rollo and Crackers both fight in costume at the end, confusing the police and Superman about who's the real one (conveniently forgetting about X-ray vision). Superman eventually identifies Rollo when Crackers tries to kill him, which Rollo wouldn't do to Crackers.