Recap / Teenange Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 5 E 10 Fathers And Sons
The Turtles are doubting themselves in the face of the upcoming battle, so Master Splinter and the Ancient One tell them a story from their past, when they were merely toddlers yet overcame seemingly impossible odds.
This episode provides examples of
- Breather Episode: Aw, an episode with the Turtles at the youngest we've ever seen them! Wedged right in the middle of the darkest arc of the series.
- By the Eyes of the Blind: The bone demon can only be seen by the innocent, thanks to an amulet it wears.
- Call Forward: "Not all children could resist its magic. These four are unique. We will have to watch them for the future."
- Children Are Innocent: The bone demon wore an amulet that made it invisible to "the world weary." The Turtles could see it because they're children.
- Continuity Nod:
- The Ancient One recalls Splinter's past as a pet of Yoshi and Shen.
- The Tribunal are aware of Yoshi's death at Ch'Rell's hands.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Once the bone demon is visible, it doesn't stand a chance against Splinter and the Ancient One.
- Forgotten First Meeting: The Turtles met the Ancient One and the Ninja Tribunal when they were toddlers. The fact they've forgotten them is justified since the Ninja Tribunal wiped their memories of the events.
- Friend to All Children: The Ancient One finally softens towards Splinter after seeing the Turtles scared of a supposed ghost.
- Genre Blindness: The bone demon is concerned about the Turtles seeing him, but the Foot Mystics say that is unimportant because they're just children.
- Hollywood Healing: Averted. The start of the episode shows Karai is still badly wounded and unconscious from her beating by the Tengu Shredder in the last episode.
- Mood Whiplash: The bone demon menaces the Turtles at night, vowing to eat their souls. Scary, but it's Played for Laughs when they look at each other nervously and run away screaming.
- Spanner in the Works: The Foot Mystics' plan to send in the bone demon might have worked had Splinter and the Turtles not traveled to Japan to give Yoshi's ashes to the Ancient One.
- The Leader: Demonstrated when Leo is the first to throw a rock at the bone demon.
- The Smart One: Demonstrated when Donny throws a particularly large rock at the bone demon.
- Victory-Guided Amnesia: This episode revealed that the Turtles helped defeat a servant of the Foot Mystics when they were very young, but the Ninja Tribunal insisted on erasing all their memories of it.
- Whole Episode Flashback
- Would Hurt a Child: As toddlers, the Turtles met a Bone Demon and when he was in the middle of squeezing the life out of Splinter and The Ancient One, he threatened the Turtle Tots with a worse fate.