Recap: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012 S 1 E 5 I Think His Name Is Baxter Stockman
The turtles sneak out against Splinter's wishes and are forced to fight Baxter Stockman, a deranged inventor wearing mechanical battle armor.
This episode provides examples of:
- Absentee Actor: April is never seen or mentioned in this episode.
- Adorkable: Baxter Stockman, of all people, comes off as this due to being more of a Straw Loser in this incarnation.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: The T-Pod. Donnie put an advanced military-grade AI chip in it, which allows it to upgrade itself continuously. It's harmless as an mp3 player, but becomes a crapshoot when Stockman hooks it up to his Powered Armor.
- Amusing Injuries: When Splinter catches the turtles sneaking home late, they're all covered with very obvious injuries. Said injuries all disappear by the next scene.
- Blade on a Stick: Donnie tries using the naginata blade on his staff for the first time, only to have Stockman break it the minute it pops out.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: The second time the Turtles sneak back into the lair.
- Composite Character: Baxter Stockman, while black like in the original comics and 2003 show, appears to take visual cues from the 1987 version of the character in hairstyle.
- Cut Himself Shaving: When Splinter catches the battered turtles sneaking in late, he asks what happened. After a few minutes of stuttering while trying to come up with an excuse, Mikey says they got hit by a bus. Splinter, of course, isn't fooled for a second.
- Disapproving Look: Splinter does a lot of this in this episode.
- Gosh Hornet: How the Turtles manage to beat the powered-up Baxter Stockman.
- Implausible Boarding Skills: Mikey combines this with Roof Hopping.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Baxter Stockman. To the point where Mikey wondered if they should buy him an ice cream rather than beat him up.
- Mythology Gag: The news report of Stockman's attack on a TCRI office complex (his former workplace).
- Never My Fault: Mikey when he says that losing the 'TPod' was Don's fault for trusting him with it at all.
- Police Are Useless: The cops show up after the Turtles first throw Stockman in the trash and take off, but they clearly didn't bother to check the seemingly empty alley once they got there.
- Powered Armor: Used by Baxter Stockman.
- Recurring Extra: The guy with the cat from "New Friend, Old Enemy" is apparently one of Stockman's old co-workers.
- Revenge: Baxter Stockman tries to destroy his former workplace after his boss fired him.
- Stockman yelling "Oh yeah!" as he breaks through a concrete wall, similar to the Kool-Aid Man.
- Mikey twice makes "woop woop!" noises as he runs away, a reference to Curly of The Three Stooges.
- Theme Tune Cameo: Mikey hums the 80's cartoon theme as he carefully puts away the T-pod in "I Think His Name Is Baxter Stockman."
- The Tooth Hurts: During the Cut Himself Shaving incident described above, Mikey gives a big grin, and quite a few of his teeth fall out.
- Title Drop: Raph saying "I think his name is Baxter Stockman."
- Why We Can't Have Nice Things: Mikey, he even admits it:Mikey: You know I can't be trusted with nice things!
- You Are Grounded: Splinter grounds the Turtles for a week for skateboarding in the lair. They sneak out anyway when he's asleep, but he catches on pretty quick.