Recap / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 SE 7 Identity Crisis
Whilst in cyber space the Turtles get hit by a blast of code. Once they return to the real world they start to act strangely, prompting Casey to follow them. To April and Casey's horror they learn that the Turtles have been infected with a computer virus by the Cyber Shredder, making them think they work for the Foot! Its up to April, Casey and Serling to remind the Turtles just who they really are.
This episode provides examples of
- Atop a Mountain of Corpses: Raph can be seen in this pose in one of his fondest memory flashbacks
- Brainwashed and Crazy: The Turtles, thanks to Cyber Shredder's virus
- Call-Back: The Dark Turtles Leitmotif is reused a few times for the brainwashed foursome.
- Continuity Nod: Some of the memories the Turtles' remember in their flashbacks are references to earlier episodes. Don has a memory of attacking Foot ninja with his bo staff, Leo has memories of training with the Ancient One, using his Chi powers, and rescuing Renet from a sabre-toothed cat, Mikey remembers winning the Battle Nexus Championship, and Raph remembers fighting Triple Threat
- Dark Is Evil: Whilst brainwashed, the Turtles dress in black Foot uniforms and black ninja masks.
- "I Know You Are in There Somewhere" Fight: A variant occurs with the memory beam April and Serling fire at the Turtles. The beam prompts them to remember their fondest memories, overriding the brainwashing effect of Shredder's virus code.
- Morality Pet: It's memories of Splinter that cause Leo, Donny, and Mikey to shake the brainwashing.
- Not So Above It All: When Raph pushes Mikey's face into a birthday cake, Leo joins in the laughing.
- Preemptive Apology: April apologizes to the Turtles before prompting Serling to fire the memory beam at them.
- Red Eyes! Take Warning: Whilst infected with the virus code, the Turtles' pupils become small red dots. They also wear Foot masks with red eye lenses.
- Temporarily a Villain: The Turtles