Recap: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 6 E 16 Timing Is Everything
When Darius Dun and Sh'Okanabo join forces, it can only mean one thing — trouble! Anxious to test out their version of Cody's Time Window, Sh'Okanabo jumps the gun and unleashes a "time storm" on New New York City, opening random portals to points across time — with the Turtles smack in the middle of the chaos!
This episode contains examples of:
- Chekhov's Gun: The old-fashioned letter delivered at the beginning of the episode, that has apparently been in the post office for around one hundred or so years.
- Enemy Mine: the Turtles and Sh'Okanabo work together to send the Shredder back to the 21st century.
- Percussive Therapy: How Raph gets the Time Window to work
- Portal to the Past: Everywhere. Thanks to the resulting time storm, people from every time period in history are showing up in 2105.
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: Not explicitly stated but heavily implied with the Utrom Shredder. See Stable Time Loop below.
- Shout-Out: Four citizens of New New York seem to be expies of The Simpsons, minus Lisa
- Stable Time Loop: Three:
- The first one is the aforementioned Chekhov's Gun, where Donny sends an old fashioned letter to the Turtles with specific instructions to not be sent for a hundred years from that point in time. It contains plans for the time window.
- The second one is the time window sequence, where Mikey and Raph tell their past counterparts about said letter in order to get their family back from the past and remind them to give the same message when they get to the point future Mikey and Raph are at.
- The final one is not explicitly stated but heavily implied. The time period that Leo was sent to was directly after "The Shredder Strikes, Part 2," as in right after the Utrom Shredder breaks out of the wreckage of the water tower that fell on him. After Leo returns to the future, the Shredder follows him through another portal to the future with some Foot ninja, and proceeds to get his ass kicked while learning of his eventual defeat. It's implied that these events are part of why the Shredder became so ruthless in his hunt for the Turtles from then on, which would cause the events of the following seasons.
- This Cannot Be!: Shredder's very understandable reaction to the increased skill of the Turtles. Back during his first battle with them, they needed their sensei in order to beat him and all of their collective strength. Here, the others (including said sensei) trounce his army while Leo kicks his ass until he and Raph kick him back into his own time period.Shredder: "Impossible! You are not this powerful!"
- Time Is Dangerous: Thanks to Sh'Okanabo's time machine going on the fritz, the entire fabric of space and time was almost torn apart because of a time storm.
- Time Travel Episode
- Time Travel Tense Trouble: Poor Mikey.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: Lampshaded repeatedly. Time travel logic can be very confusing.
- The Worf Effect: While the Shredder was a highly dangerous opponent to the Turtles back during season one, he stands no chance against them in season six, and it shows. First, Leo easily matches him by himself even while on the defensive in order to protect Cody. Then, when in the future and nothing holding him back, the Shredder gets his ass kicked while his army is almost effortlessly defeated. Raph put it best as to why this happened.Raphael: "Dude, we put the kabosh on you a long time ago! You're history!"
- Write Back to the Future: The Chekhov's Gun.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Of the You Already Changed The Past variety. This episode all but states that time is immutable, and that some things are inevitable.