Recap: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 4 E 3 Sons Of The Silent Age
While taking a trip up river The Turtles, Casey and April meet five merpeople trying to protect their eggs from radiation from a nuclear power plant.
This episode provides examples of
- Broken Aesop: The whole message of this episode is that nuclear power plants are bad. Because the plant was leaking toxic waste, the Turtles destroyed it to save the merpeople's eggs. In reality, destroying the plant (with an explosion no less) will probably make things far much worse, as it will scatter the toxic waste everywhere. The real kicker is that the plant was already in the process of being dismantled and the eggs could have been easily moved elsewhere.
- Call Back: The merwoman gives April a vision of the history of her people, showing the revolution of Y'lyntis by the slaves. The Turtles first learnt about this in Season 3 "The Entity Below"
- Fish People: the merpeople
- Non Mammalian Mammaries: the merwoman has breasts, despite the fact that her people lays eggs. Possibly justified in that the merpeople were originally mutated from humans, so they retain certain human features (such as being bipedal and having fingers etc)
- Preemptive Apology: Don does this to an employee at the nuclear plantDonatello: We don't have time for this! Please accept my apology.Worker: For what?Donatello: For this. (hits the worker with his bo.)
- The Smurfette Principle: the merwoman is the only female out of the five remaining merpeople