Recap: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 4 E 16 Prodigal Son
Leonardo returns to New York, only to find the Lair destroyed and his family missing. As he follows their movements he must piece together what happened and find his brothers and Master Splinter
This episode provides examples of
- Call Back: Leo decapitates the Oroku Saki statue, just like he decapitated the Shredder's exosuit in "Return to New York Part 3". He also mentions the events of "City at War part 3", when he fought alongside Karai, and told her she was nothing like the Shredder because she understood honor.
- Continuity Nod: A minor one occurs between Leo and Mikey's cat, Klunk. In "Dragons Rising" Klunk approaches Leo in a friendly manner, but Leo is spiraling into Knight Templar-hood, and abruptly ignores him. In this episode, when Leo finds a sleeping Mikey, Klunk initially spits and snarls at Leo. Now that He's Back to his old self, the turtle's face softens and he strokes Klunk gently, at which point the cat realizes who he is and purrs appreciatively.
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: A very subtle one occurs with Karai. Normally she wears pink lipstick, but for this episode she wears red lipstick, symbolizing her crossover into evil when she believed she's killed the Turtles. After Leo defeats her the next time we see her she's gone back to the pink lipstick, showing she's not so evil and such a threat anymore.
- He's Back: When Splinter looks into Leo's eyes he can tell that his son is his old self once again.
- He's Just Hiding: In-Universe. Leo's reaction to Karai's claim that the other turtles and Splinter was dead.
- Shout-Out: Mikey makes a reference to The Wizard of Oz when Leo finds him
- Trail Of Breadcrumbs: Leo tracks down his family by following their footprints, the wreckage of their vehicles and the items they leave in their wake.