This episode provides examples of
- Arrow Catch: A variation occurs when Leo catches the challenge blade thrown at him by the Ultimate Ninja
- Big Damn Heroes: When the Ultimate Ninja acts like a Sore Loser, the Daimyo intervenes.
- Combat Referee: The Gyoji
- Duel to the Death: The Ultimate Ninja outright states that if Leo loses the fight 'his life is forfeit'
- Evil Redhead: The Ultimate Ninja
- Focus Group Ending: Discussed by Splinter. He acknowledges how it would've been realistic for the elder cowboy in Rio Gato to lose, but he notes that wouldn't have been a happy ending.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Leo may've fallen to his death had he not been able to get a hold of the Ultimate Ninja's claw weapon.
- Honor Before Reason:
- Leo's family can only watch, even when it looks like he's going to lose his life. Not that they don't want to help, of course...
- Per the rules, if Leo refuses the match, everyone's lives are forfeited. If he accepts and loses, his life is forfeited.Splinter: You must choose, my son.
Leo: Sensei, there is no choice. I accept the challenge.
- Locked Out of the Fight: Leo's family are physically stopped from helping him/getting involved by a water cage. What's more, if Leo refuses, his friends and family's lives are 'forfeit'.
- Meaningful Echo/ Foreshadowing: At the start of the episode the Turtles, Master Splinter and April and Casey are watching a western: Rio Gato. The theme of the movie is that a young hothead challenges the sheriff to make a name for himself, for 'fame and glory'. Guess what The Ultimate Ninja challenges Leo for...
- Meaningful Rename: The Daimyo's Son calls himself "The Ultimate Ninja” after he believe he's defeated Leonardo.
- No Time to Explain/ Another Story for Another Time: When the Turtles ask Master Splinter what's going on, he only replies 'I'll explain later. Now is not the time'. Again, at the end of the episode, he simply states 'Be patient. When the time is right all will be made clear'.
- Not Quite Dead: The Ultimate Ninja declares victory after Leonardo falls off the bridge, but Leo manages to grab onto the side and climb back up.
- Not So Different: Casey and April both love Rio Gato.
- Sore Loser: The Ultimate Ninja attempts to kill Leonardo after being officially defeated.
- Spanner in the Works: The Ultimate Ninja wanted to fight the Shredder, but since Leo supposedly robbed him of that opportunity, he challenges him instead.
- This Cannot Be!: After Leo reveals he survived the fall.Ultimate Ninja: What? It... it can't be.
Leo: It can be, and it is!
- Traintop Battle: A variation occurs on top a moving truck.
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: The Ultimate Ninja is more than happy to comply with the rules of combat that benefit him, such as excluding Leo's family from the fight, but when he's losing he has no problems in outright cheating to win
- Walking Armoury: The Ultimate Ninja