Recap / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 1 E 16 The King
With the Foot Clan scouring the sewers, the Turtles move in with April. When the water heater breaks down, Donatello goes down to the basement to fix it. Here Don meets April's tenant, Kirby, an artist whose mysterious power opens an adventure to another dimension.
This episode provides examples of:
- Accessory-Wearing Cartoon Animal: Lampshaded when Raphael comes out of the shower wearing a towel around his waist, despite the fact that the turtles are normally almost completely clothes-less in everyday life.
- Art Initiates Life: The crystal tied to the pencil that Kirby uses acts in this way.
- Bittersweet Ending: Donatello enters another world created by a Jack Kirby Expy. At the end, the portal they used to enter the world begins to shrink. Don makes it back to the real world in time, but Kirby doesn't. Just before the portal disappears, a paper airplane flies out where Kirby gives Don the message "Don, life at best is bittersweet. Take care of yourself, Kirby."
- Continuity Nod: At the start of the episode April is watching the same movie on television that Mikey was watching in "Notes from the Underground Part 1".
- A Day in the Limelight: The first episode to primarily focus on Donatello.
- Homage: To Jack Kirby.
- In Memoriam: Again, to Jack Kirby.
- Kirby Dots: The back ground of the Alternate Dimension. In honor of Jack Kirby.
- Mythology Gag: When the delivery man does a double take on the chair Mikey was just sitting and sees a teddy bear instead. The same thing happens in the first TMNT movie.
- Shout-Out: One of the warriors Kirby created says "You shall not pass" to the monsters as they attempt to attack the rainbow bridge to the city.
- Whole Plot Reference: To the Mirage comic issue Donatello #1.