Recap / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 1 E 14 Notes From The Underground Part 2
Inside the Foot Genetics lab, the Turtles learn of past experiments that turned human subjects into monsters. The brothers soon encounter a group of these creatures who are at first hostile, but eventually become allies. The Turtles now find themselves helping these creatures evade the attacks of similar, but mindless monsters. This new partnership takes the Turtles deeper into the seemingly haunted catacombs, where creatures, and later Donatello, have disappeared.
This episode provides examples of:
- Alien Lunch: The monsters were designed to eat lifeforms that dwell naturally in the caves.
- The Berserker: The other monsters, among which there are counterparts to Quarry, Stonebiter and Razorfist.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: The fourth of the mindless monsters is a spider-like creature.
- Convection Schmonvection: The turtles land on the shore of lava and suffer no ill effects from the heat. Justified while they were in the transport pod over it, though as the pod would likely be insulated against the heat.
- Foreshadowing: Quarry only remembers that his real name starts with an S. In the sequel episode "Return to the Underground", it's revealed that his name or rather, her name, is Sidney.
- Power Glows: the crystals
- Reluctant Monster: Quarry, Stonebiter and Razorfist only attack the turtles because they believe they are affiliated with The Foot. Once both sides realize they're not enemies they start working together.
- Shout-Out: Mikey saying "Zoinks"
- Underground City: What Quarry refers to as 'The Forbidden Zone' and 'The Necropolis'.