Recap / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 1 E 13 Notes From The Underground Part 1
While Donatello examines a pair of mysterious crystals, the lair's perimeter alarm is triggered after the crystals begin to glow. The Turtles investigate and find tracks indicating the presence of some unknown creature. These tracks lead them deep underground where they uncover an abandoned Foot Genetics lab.First appearance of Quarry, Stonebiter, Razorfist and the rest of the underground dwellers
This episode provides examples of:
- Apocalyptic Log: The Foot's video archives
- Deadly Road Trip: Specifically the kind where the group are trapped in a cave (alright, underground) and being pursued by monsters.
- It Can Think: The monsters. The Foot thought they had only primitive intelligence after the experiments, but they were merely biding their time.
- Meaningful Echo: Michelangelo repeatedly echoes the line from the monster movie he was watching at the start of the episode. Later, the Foot Scientist in the video archives says the same line, only this time it applies to 'real life', not just a movie.
- Mythology Gag: Stonebiter has some visual similarity to Complete Carnage, a minor villain from the Mirage comics.
- Oh, Crap!: After seeing the Apocalyptic Log and hearing some strange noises in the dark, Mikey freaks and runs away. Raph hates to admit it, but he agrees.
- Power Crystal/ Power Glows: the energy crystals
- Strapped to an Operating Table: The Foot's "volunteers" in the video archive footage.
- These Are Things Man Was Not Meant to Know: The line appears in Mikey's movie and reappears in the Apocalyptic Log.
Mikey: That's the one line in a monster movie you don't wanna hear.
- To Be Continued: Lampshaded, as the episode ends with the Turtles faced with three monsters.
Mikey: Guys, this isn't the end of the movie, is it?
- Wham Shot: The Foot's logo appearing on the monitor.