Recap / Tales From The Crypt S 2 E 1 Dead Right
On her lunch break, secretary Cathy Finch stops by fortune-teller Madame Vorna's shop at a friend's suggestion. Vorna predicts that Cathy will lose her job but find a new one by the end of the day. When Cathy returns to the office, her boss fires her for being late. Later that afternoon, she walks past a strip club and is immediately hired to replace a waitress who has just quit.
Cathy visits Vorna again and receives a new prediction: she will meet a large man that night and marry him, and he will inherit a great deal of money soon afterward and then die violently. While working at the club, she meets Charlie Marno, a grossly fat, ugly slob who makes a pass at her as soon as he sees her. Repulsed by his advances, she flees the club and returns to Vorna, who repeats her statement and confirms that Charlie is the man Cathy will marry.
Cathy reluctantly accepts Charlie's offer of a date, but it proves to be a disaster for her. However, she remembers Vorna's prediction and agrees to marry him after he tells her about his rich uncle. Three months later, once she is tired of his slovenly way of life, he surprises her with the revelation that his uncle has a family. She visits Vorna in a panic, angry that she has married Charlie for nothing, but Vorna stands by her claim. While stopping at an automat, Cathy wins $1 million for being its millionth customer. Returning to the apartment, she gloats over her winnings and tells Charlie how much he disgusts her while packing to leave. He flies into a rage and stabs her to death with a kitchen knife, screaming, "If I can't have you, nobody can!
Vorna's prediction proves to be accurate, as Charlie inherits Cathy's prize money but is soon arrested, convicted, and executed for her murder. As Vorna watches live coverage of the execution, a new customer enters her shop and asks if she can predict the future.
This episode provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Charlie, in spades. Cathy puts up with him due to a prophecy that he will die and she thereby expects to inherit a huge amount of money. Of course, it doesn't quite work out the way she expects.
- Fortune Teller: Vorna, who appears to be the real thing, but does not have the best interests of her customers in mind.
- Gold Digger: Kathy's reason for marrying Charlie.
- If I Can't Have You...: Verbatim from Charlie.
- Prophecy Twist: Charlie does inherit a lot of money from a dead relative, and then he does die violently. The problem is that the dead relative was Cathy herself, and he is executed in the electric chair for her murder.